Killifish Or German Blue Ram

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by benno99999, Apr 10, 2018.

1. benno99999

benno99999 New Member Member

Hey guys. I am starting a new 20g tank. I was planning on putting 5x kuhli loaches, 2x Black Skirt Tetra (I know you are supposed to have at least 5 in a group, but I got these when I first started the hobby about 2 years ago), and either 3x gardneri killifish (one male and two females) or 2-3x German Blue Rams. Which fish should I choose? BTW I'm doing ti heavily planted with water wisteria and Amazon Swords. Thanks!

2. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

The GBRs would like it a bit warmer than the killis. What temp are you keeping your tank at?
    The killis may nip at the fins of the skirt tetras but honestly given the nippiness of skirts themselves they should come to an agreeable situation quite quickly after a few rounds around the tank.

What is your usual pH and hardness? GBRs usually like it a little softer/lower unless theyve been tank raised in hard water (local breeders are great like this). Whereas gardneri killis are pretty adaptable to whatever water conditions you throw at them.

3. OP
    OP
    benno99999

temp- around 74* F
    Ph and hardness- i dont know

4. OP
    OP
    benno99999

The tank is established though.

5. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

If you have a pet store that will test your water for free take a sample down to them and have them test all that for you. Its good info to know.

Given the temp of your tank I'd say the killifish are the better option. They are fine with that temp, whereas the GBRs would prefer the temp at 80+.

6. OP
    OP
    benno99999

Ok thanks!

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't keep the killis with the skirt tetra - the skirt tetra will likely be nippy and bullyish, especially in such a small group, and will likely outcompete and intimidate the killis. I'd rehome the skirt tetra before adding the killis. You have room for another kuhli or two as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice