killifish eggs

1. fluffy_angel Initiate Member

my daughter Olivia has just received 10 killifish eggs so if anyone has any tips or advice for us we would be very grateful
    thanks
    Chelle & Olivia

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Don't know much about Killifish, but Dino will check in this evening and he might :)
    Carol

3. fluffy_angel Initiate Member

i have just been to feed the fish and one of our killifish eggs has hatched, this is our first fry so fingers crossed that he'll survive & hopefully some more will hatch soon (we have 9 more)

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Are there anymore fish in with them? If so you might want to seperate them so the Killi's won't become a snack. do you know what kind of killifish they are?

Carol

5. fluffy_angel Initiate Member

hi carol
    they are Aph.Gardneri Gold killifish.
    we have 5 in a breeding net in my tank and 5 in a little plastic pot with water from my tank and that is kept on top of the tank under the light and it is one of them that hatched. yesterday i got some liquifry 1 for egg layers and added some to the water (it said to add as soon as the eggs are laid) and the next time i checked he was swimming round.
    after i posted my last message i checked on them and he wasn't moving so we thought we'd lost him but when i looked later he was fine.
    my friend also has 10 in a guppy breeding box but no fry yet.
    apparently they could take up to 3 weeks to hatch due to a nature survival thing called diapause that arrests their development, prevents them hatching all at once into a pond that dries out killing all of them.
    i am waiting for some brine shrimp egg mix and I'm going to try to hatch the eggs for them.
    he looks so funny, he is our first fry and I've never seen newly hatched/born fry, his eyes are so big.
    I'm having problems with the breeding net, when i feed the fish some of the food gets stuck to the outside of the net and i need to find a way to clean it without killing the eggs or fry (when we get some in there), any advice?

chelle

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Liquify is made from egg yolks and will foul the water very quickly. so you need to do water changes in order to keep the water clean for your babies ;) Hikari first bites are excellent for fry. It is a very small grain powder. You wet the end of your finger, dip in first bites and the swirl in the water. but what ever you use the water has to be changed fairly frequently. Hope that helps.
    Carol

7. fluffy_angel Initiate Member

our 2nd egg hatched last night & another 1 tried but i think it's died, it's an egg with a tail & has been like that since yesterday tea time.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Is the little tail wiggling? Thats how Angel fish hatch(tails first).
    Carol

9. fluffy_angel Initiate Member

his tail hasn't moved ant he has been like it for 2 days, left him in the water just incase