Killifish Compatibilty Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SpasmaticAA, Apr 16, 2018.

1. SpasmaticAA

SpasmaticAA Valued Member Member

So since my first post sorta just stopped and got only a you can't add this species to your tank response with no recomendations I am here asking the same question that ended the first one, sort of.

I am planning on getting some killifish eggs and hatching them. My current choices are the
    Aphyosemion species and the Fundulopanchax species. Will these be compatible in a 15 gallon tank with a honey gourami, 2 platys, 2 bamboo shrimp, an amano, and a mut cherry shrimp. If the tank size is an issue I'm hopefully going to be redoing the seal of a 43 gallon breeder that I haven't been able to work on since winter wants to linger where I am.

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

bit off topic but i would recomend getting 1 or 2 more honeys

3. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Yes that is completely off topic but yes I do eventually want to get more honey's because I do like them but I currently am looking for recomended killies

4. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

I haven't had any luck with killies with shrimp. I figured they'd be fin since the killies are at the top, but that wasn't the case.

5. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Okay so I should just give up the idea on keeping shrimp with these guys? Also what kind of shrimp were they? Maybe the cherry mut I could see being harassed as well as maybe the amano but the bamboos are massive

6. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

I've never kept bamboos. Mainly neo species.

7. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Yeah from some research I've done it seems the neo species 8f shrimp are treated as food by some killies and require dense planting. However bamboo and amano seem to be fine since they are so big.

8. ktorg

ktorg Valued Member Member

Those are not two species, they are two different genera, and between the two there are hundreds of different species of killifish and many have different care requirements. For example, Fundulopanchax gardneri gets to be around two inches long while Fundulopanchax sjoestedti can get up to six inched long! So you see there can be quite a bit of variation. You will need a pick a few actual species that you like and investigate from there.
    I also agree that once the killifish get large enough they will hunt and eat your shrimp.

9. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Okay I understand now and I was thinking of getting the gardneri and the sjoestedti I heard was more difficult to take care of anyway. And yes I onow the cherry shrimp is in trouble but I have more of her siblings in a 5 gallon tank and will probably be getting a lot more plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice