Killifish Being Aggressive

paularchibald8

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey guys, so I have a tank setup with some Kribs and some killis, including 3 australes (2 females and a male) as well as 1 gardnerI and 1 filamentosa male. I got the 3 australes and the filamentosa at one time and added the garderI 2 weeks later. they are all civil except for the filamentosa who has been picking some fights especialy with the new gardneri. So I took thebully out and put him in a 5 gallon tank (that will be used with my new fish next week) as sort of a time out to separate him and see if it lets the other fish setup their territory bettter. How long do you think before I can return him that would be effective to possibly calm him down? If his seperation doesn't help ill probably bring him back to the lfs as id rather no fish die because of this. By the way the tank is heavily planted so there's plenty of places to hide.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think it’ll change just because it’s on it’s own for a while. They’re territorial fish, it’s what they do. You can’t remove that behaviour.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Coptapia said, most Killifish are very territorial and aggressive. He's probably have to be removed permanently.

OP
P

paularchibald8

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's a shame, it worked for me years ago with other fish but I guess maybe killis are different in this manner. Shame a pretty fish but out of all of mine he's the only one to continously be picking on others, I think it might be because the gardnerI is smaller and the same colors so he feels like they are in competetion?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be, I don't know. I know the majority of Killifish Ive had are not "play well with others" kinda fish. Their name is very fitting.

OP
P

paularchibald8

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I appreciate the help nonetheless, hopefully he chills out or **** be going back before I get my notho rachoviis!

happyscrub

Reaction score
Numbers are too low. With fish like that, you either do one male or a bunch of males. 2 or 3 males in a species is asking for trouble. Someone will get singled out.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
happyscrub said:
Numbers are too low. With fish like that, you either do one male or a bunch of males. 2 or 3 males in a species is asking for trouble. Someone will get singled out.
Agree, and killies are tricky to keep different species together.

New Threads