Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Killifish Being Aggressive

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by paularchibald8, Mar 25, 2019.

1. paularchibald8New MemberMember

Hey guys, so i have a tank setup with some Kribs and some killis, including 3 australes (2 females and a male) as well as 1 gardneri and 1 filamentosa male. I got the 3 australes and the filamentosa at one time and added the garderi 2 weeks later. they are all civil except for the filamentosa who has been picking some fights especialy with the new gardneri. So i took thebully out and put him in a 5 gallon tank (that will be used with my new fish next week) as sort of a time out to seperate him and see if it lets the other fish setup their territory bettter. How long do you think before i can return him that would be effective to possibly calm him down? If his seperation doesnt help ill probably bring him back to the lfs as id rather no fish die because of this. By the way the tank is heavily planted so theres plenty of places to hide.

2. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

I don’t think it’ll change just because it’s on it’s own for a while. They’re territorial fish, it’s what they do. You can’t remove that behaviour.

3. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Like Coptapia said, most Killifish are very territorial and aggressive. He's probably have to be removed permanently.

4. paularchibald8New MemberMember

Thats a shame, it worked for me years ago with other fish but i guess maybe killis are different in this manner. Shame a pretty fish but out of all of mine he's the only one to continously be picking on others, i think it might be because the gardneri is smaller and the same colors so he feels like they are in competetion?

5. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Could be, I dont know. I know the majority of Killifish Ive had are not "play well with others" kinda fish. Their name is very fitting.

6. paularchibald8New MemberMember

Well i appreciate the help nonetheless, hopefully he chills out or be going back before i get my notho rachoviis!

7. happyscrubValued MemberMember

Numbers are too low. With fish like that, you either do one male or a bunch of males. 2 or 3 males in a species is asking for trouble. Someone will get singled out.

8. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Agree, and killies are tricky to keep different species together.

9. DamianoValued MemberMember

Had to take my Killi out of my Tank as well.