Killer silver dollars. Help!

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Ble373, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Ble373

Ble373New MemberMember

Bought 5 silver dollars about a week ago in a new 60 gallon tank. (Tank was fully cycled before they came in ) Anyway they were there over a week and doing well. Added 6 black skirted tetra last night. All was well with the two groups schooling together before bed. This morning we woke up to 3 of the black tetra alive and with fins nipped. We then noticed the silver dollars banding together attacking one of the remaining skirted to death. I managed to get the last two into my shrimp tank. ( survived an emergency dump directly in other water conditions for 8 hours now. ) We were going to add Angel fish but are now scared. Anyone heard of this? We kept the silver dollars well fed and have many hiding places. Had anyone else had problems. We always heard they were non aggressive. Please help.

2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Probably hungry and saw them as food. They have a big stomach and appetites to match.

Which dollars are they? The spotty ones are quite nippy. I wouldn't risk any dollars with Angels.

3. OP
    OP
    Ble373

Ble373New MemberMember

3 of them are spotted and 2 are smaller so not sure if they are just to young. What kinds of fish would you recommend if they are aggressive. Thanks

4. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

They're not aggressive at all, but they are nippier than the average dollar. Fins are presumably a small part of their natural diet when easily available, and if the prey fish is small enough.....

They're usually fine with all but the smallest fish, but anything with long or flamboyant fins might be a bit too tempting, at times.