Killer in the tank ????

stretfordender

Reaction score
Had my tank for just over a year, with no real problems. Stocked with silver shark, couple of angel , tiger barb, red tailed shark, a plec, siamese fighter neons and zebra danions.

about a month ago i i got another red tailed shark plec and another silver shark. Within a week i noticed the new plec had gone missing it was about 2 inch long. then tonight red taied shark big plec and siamese had all been nibbled and saw the bigger silver shark eating a zebra danion. The size of the silver shark is about 3-4 inches. do you think he is the problem now he has a companion ????

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all can you tell us how large your tank is (gallon wise) and how many of each fish you have, this will help us a little more.

stretfordender

Reaction score
Thanks, its a 90 litre tank @20 uk gallons

2 silver shark
2 red tailed shark (both gone)
2 Plecs (both gone)
1 siamese fighter male (gone)
12 neon tetras
6 zebra danion (i gone)
2 angel
2 tiger barbs
2 small cat fish thingys

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it's not the neons for sure, possibly the angels (depends on how big they are), tiger barbs can be really mean and aggressive so good chance and usually silver sharks also called bala's usually are peaceful so I wouldn't think them but you also have your tank overstock so that will also increase your aggresion. Some things you need to do, first of all get rid of your bala's as they will get too big. second of all you need to figure out what you want in your tank, you can have your angels or your neons or your tiger barbs or your catfish thingys. none of your current fish get along well together in that small of a tank with the exception of your catfish they may do ok with all of them, go to planetcatfish.com to see if you can ID them. If you keep your current stock you will have more problems for sure. So what is it that you would like. Also have a look at fishlore.com at the fish profiles and articles.

Austin

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if you have a lot of hiding places your pleco can just be hiding as I sometimes only see my male bristlenose once a week. Also probably a bad idea having to red-tails as they dont get along especially in a tank that size, Red-tails so best alone but if you keep more than one its recommended that you have a Very big tank. Silver sharks have been known to eat small fish when they reach a huge size but not at 3-4in. I'd say that the silver shark was just picking at the already dead danio, unless you saw it hunt it down. Tiger barbs Probably caused the nipping.

stretfordender

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

i had a good look through the tank and left no place unturned. i have obviously removed the dead fish ( 1 small plec, 2 red tailed sharks, my gorgeous siamese fighter) but cannot even find the remains of my larger plec (had him for over a year) who i last saw 2 days prior to me starting this thread.

i am now staying away from red tailed sharks. i have treated the water and all seems well at present.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bettas (fighting fish) are also highly territorial they should be kept alone or if its female and u want more than one with other females if he was male probly not the best idea in the world...there are some fish that the betta will get along with but u would want to check the betta threads for that

hope this helps

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom