Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Killer Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by QueenLittleLizard, Apr 21, 2019.

1. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Me and my friend have two tanks. One is a small tank, with only a goldfish, which is only hers. Then, we have a 55-gallon that we share. This goldfish is very old and hardy. One problem with him though. He has previously shared a tank with 2 other fish, and a large snail. Every one disappeared one by one, with nothing left behind except the snails shell. We have come to the conclusion that the goldfish ate the other fish, and snail. Now, we recently had an ammonia problem with his tank, so we had to temporarily move him to the 55-gallon tank. That same day our eel died. The ammonia problem is now solved, but my friend keeps finding excuses to keep him in the big tank, even though there’s really nothing wrong with it. Her last excuse was “it looked cloudy”. *Sigh* I was thinking if we could get some other opinions I might be able to convince her. How likely is the goldfish to kill other things in the tank?

2. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Goldfish will eat anything that fit in its mouth, and try its best to eat anything slightly bigger. Additionally, it may be temperature incompatible if it is in a tropical tank. They prefer cooler waters

3. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Yup. The big tank stays at 78 degrees F. The goldfish tank is much colder.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I agree with the first statement, they will eat anything and everything!
    On the other hand, they're temperate, not cold water, so anything between 60-80 is good enough for them to thrive :)

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

many goldfish are bred and raised in outdoor ponds in the Tropics, like Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Hawaii, Florida, and Brazil.

where there any visible injuries on the eel? any signs of aggression before it died?

how big is the goldfish? a picture plz.

6. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

The eel did have some wounds before it died.
    upload_2019-4-21_16-25-40.jpeg
    The goldfish is about five to six inches long. Only have a partial picture of the goldfish, pretty fuzzy. I’ll try to get a better one.
    upload_2019-4-21_16-28-3.jpeg

7. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

What species of fish did you stock besides the eel? I mean if they simply disappeared and the fish were small enough to be swallowed, then that's likely what happened.

8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

the eel doesn't look much thicker than the gravel. the goldfish probably tried to eat it.

i see another goldfish? in the back, how big are the other surviving fish in the tank?

9. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Ok... soooooooo
    The goldfish had some things in the tank with it like 3 years ago. Since I didn't know my friend then, I'm trying to figure out what they were. The other fish you saw in the picture was added recently. It was a koi, around 2-3 inches. We got it in the hopes that it would be too big for the goldfish to kill, with the plan to move it to an outdoor pond when it got too big for the trank. Unfortunately, it died due to the recent annomia spike. :emoji_cry: The eel was in the big tank, as of now none of the other fish in the big tank have been harmed, but I think it's only a matter of time...