Killer Glofish

BoSox Fan7
A day after getting four glofish every other fish in my aquarium died. Those fish included 4 cardnial tetras and 3 otos. What could have happened? I am afraid to put more fish in my aquarium because of this.

AlyeskaGirl
BoSox Fan7
I checked after seeing the dead fish and they all were fine.

BoSox Fan7
I want to add cherry barbs and otos to my tank but I'm afraid to is there some kind of way to test them or do you just go for it.

Aquarist
Good morning BoSox. Hate to hear about your fish loss. If you would be so kind as to fill out your aquarium information in your profile, it will really help others to help you more. Do you know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

I suggest a DIY quarantine tank. Here is a link you may find helpful.

Best of luck.
Ken

ABCDemily
What are you Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings?

By adding four fish at once may cause an ammonia spike, and as Danio's are hardy, the other, less hardy fish may have suffered becausxe of the sudden increase in the bioload.

BoSox Fan7
Nitrate was 20 ppm, Nitrite was 0.5 ppm, and ammonia was 0.5 ppm it did spike a little.

kimb
How did you acclimate them? Was there a huge temperature change? How about your ph? Perhaps there was a big difference between yours and the LFS?....Sorry for your loss.

CHoffman
It seems to me what happended is that adding the 4 glofish was to much for your beneficial bacteria to keep up with and it caused a spike in ammonia and nitrite. Glofish are VERY hardy and would be able to survive. Ottos and Cardinals are sensitive and that kind of spike could very well be fatal especially the ottos. So sorry. Maybe next time QT them and then add them slowly into the tank 2 at a time 2 weeks apart.

BoSox Fan7
When I acclimated them I let the bag float for 30 min then I put some water from the tank in the bag every 15 minutes for another half an hour. Then I let the fish in the tank.

BoSox Fan7
I am going to get some male cherry barbs today. I am hoping that they don't die.

Shawnie
HI bosox...I would suggest before you get anything, do you have a current reading on your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? I don't think 4 glofish would have caused such a spike in such a short of amount of time after a day........making sure the tank is properly and fully cycled is a must...especially before adding more fish ..

BoSox Fan7
I tested the water and everything is fine. Do u think adding 3 cherry barbs at once would be okay?

Top Bottom