Killer Filter?

Jack D
Hello all,

I am brand new to freshwater aquariums and created an account specifically for this issue:

Four days ago I purchased an Aqueon 10 gallon tank with filter and heater. After 48 hrs of cycling I added two aquatic plants and a Betta. The next morning I came down and the Betta was trapped in my filter. I dislodged him, but he died shortly therafter.

Visiting the pet store, today, the employee tested my water and all levels came out in the normal range. He said we could try another Betta, and we also purchased three Harlequin Tetras. We floated the tetras and they seemed to adjust to the tank quite well, schooling together within 15 minutes. Fast forward to two hrs later...

TWO OF THE TETRAS ARE TRAPPED AGAINST THE FILTER AND ARE DEAD.

What is going on here? My filter has now trapped and killed three fish in a 12 hr period. I don't want to kill any more fish... please help!

jess3434
First off, there is no such fish as a harlequin tetra. Secondly, a filter takes way longer than 2 days to cycle if it is brand new. Thirdly, harlequin rasboras are schooling fish and do better in groups of 6 or more. And lastly, your flow may be too high but I suspect the may have died from an ammonia spike and just gotten sucked into the filter after.

KimberlyG
Welcome to fishlore!
Can you post a picture of the filter? I have several small Aqueon filters and have never had a problem. Did you use something like Tetra Safe Start to start the cycling?

Jack D
Whoops! Harlequin tetra was what the employee at the pet store called it. Harlequin rasboras, forevermore. Can you quantify 'way longer' for me?

First off, there is no such fish as a harlequin tetra. Secondly, a filter takes way longer than 2 days to cycle if it is brand new. Thirdly, harlequin rasboras are schooling fish and do better in groups of 6 or more. And lastly, your flow may be too high but I suspect the may have died from an ammonia spike and just gotten sucked into the filter after.

B1GD4DDY
Whoops! Harlequin tetra was what the employee at the pet store called it. Harlequin rasboras, forevermore. Can you quantify 'way longer' for me?
"Way longer" is more than 2 days. It is a different length of time in every case, however the average is 2 weeks to 1 month.

Jack D
Thank you for your kind welcome! I am brand new to this, but I think I uploaded a picture of the filter. I only used what came with the Aqueon tank (labeled as 'Water Conditioner').

Welcome to fishlore!
Can you post a picture of the filter? I have several small Aqueon filters and have never had a problem. Did you use something like Tetra Safe Start to start the cycling?

That is much more helpful; thank you!

"Way longer" is more than 2 days. It is a different length of time in every case, however the average is 2 weeks to 1 month.

Attachments

• 20180329_212934.jpg
    20180329_212934.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 79
B1GD4DDY
KimberlyG
The filter is not the problem. The water conditioner only neutralizes chloramines from your tap water. You have nothing to start the nitrogen cycle which can take 8 weeks to culture. After 48 hours, ammonia has built up in the tank and started to poison the fish making it weak and unable to swim away from the filter intake. Any healthy fish can swim away from the filter intake. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. That has to be established to have a healthy tank.

Jack D
Thank you! The man at the pet store seemed so knowledgeable... why would he not tell me any of this?

The filter is not the problem. The water conditioner only neutralizes chloramines from your tap water. You have nothing to start the nitrogen cycle which can take 8 weeks to culture. After 48 hours, ammonia has built up in the tank and started to poison the fish making it weak and unable to swim away from the filter intake. Any healthy fish can swim away from the filter intake. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. That has to be established to have a healthy tank.

B1GD4DDY
Thank you! The man at the pet store seemed so knowledgeable... why would he not tell me any of this?
He is only in it to sell things. Most don't know much about it.

aussieJJDude
First off, there is no such fish as a harlequin tetra.
Remember, its a common name. One can technically make up anything for fish, like I could call the neon tetra the tri-coloured tetra... technically both the same fish, Paracheirodon innesi. But yes, going with above, we commonly refer to your harlequins as harlequin rasboras.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MrsPancakes
Replies
Views
TKK9
Replies
Views
10spall
Replies