Killer dwarf gourami???

Bettabuddy123

HELP!!! my brand new dwarf gourami seems to be eating my rabbit snail! I can't tell! The snail is normally outgoing but started hiding a lot so I watched and the gourami attacks him it looks like. Can a gourami be violent? Do they eat snails? Do I need to return him? I have a 15 gallon tank its like a year old. I Have 2 frogs 5 guppies a rabbit snail and now a gourami.

Ouse

Welcome! :)

You’re right, it’s probably best to return or rehome him. A 15 gallon tank with a territorial dwarf gourami and other groups of water animals is overstocked. Dwarf gouramis are aggressive fish and personally I don’t recommend them to anyone (for their aggression and other reasons too, such as susceptibility to disease).

Upvote 0

Bettabuddy123

You’re right, it’s probably best to return or rehome him. A 15 gallon tank with a territorial dwarf gourami and other groups of water animals is overstocked. Dwarf gouramis are aggressive fish and personally I don’t recommend them to anyone (for their aggression and other reasons too, such as susceptibility to disease).
Thank you! but did you say my tank is over stocked? what does that mean I can't add any more fish?
Thank you! but did you say my tank is over stocked? what does that mean I can't add any more fish?
Like if I return the gourami I shouldn't replace him

Upvote 0

Ouse

If you remove the gourami then it should be fine. “Overstocked” basically means there are more fish in a tank than is recommended to have, but there are workarounds to this issue. Doing bigger water changes, using live plants and densely decorating the tank can resolve some of the issues brought along by overstocking. I still think you should return the dwarf gourami though; they can be hard to manage.

Upvote 0

fallfever

You know, this is the perfect time to get another tank :) Then again, is there a bad time?

DG's are not known for eating snails but it wouldn't surprise me if he is attacking it. I've never had an aggressive DG but in that space it is far more likely to happen. Nothing to add to what stinkyloaf said but DG's are notoriously short lived and not the most even tempered. Beautiful fish though.

Upvote 0

Bettabuddy123

You know, this is the perfect time to get another tank :) Then again, is there a bad time?

DG's are not known for eating snails but it wouldn't surprise me if he is attacking it. I've never had an aggressive DG but in that space it is far more likely to happen. Nothing to add to what stinkyloaf said but DG's are notoriously short lived and not the most even tempered. Beautiful fish though.
you might be right ive had my eye on a 32 gallon... I might have to pull the trigger

Upvote 0

Jennmariexoxo

I think it more has to do with the individual fish. My DGs have never even attempted to go after anything in my tank. But I also have them in a 55 gal with plenty of room to have their own space if needed. Mainly they all tend to stay together with the other fish though.

Upvote 0

Vesbit

You should get a bigger tank and think about adding other fish into it and more plants, maybe feed more and maybe remove the snail to a smaller tank with more peaceful fish like tetras and corydoras.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Macandcheesequeen
Replies
Views
Mosko
  • Question
Replies
Views
awilkinson871