Killer Bumblebee

mystic4407
I set up a 36 gallon bow front over a year ago. Some of the first fish I stocked in the tank were 3 Bumblebee catfish (supposedly of the South American variety). Recently I've had some unexplained fish deaths. The smaller two Bumblebee catfish (each about two inches in length) and a handful of tetras (Columbian, Rosy, and Black Phantom) have died seemingly randomly over the past month or so. Today I got home to this scene (see picture): an injured rosy tetra dorsal fin nearly missing and circular damage around the area, and a black phantom tetra with his tail fin nearly missing and damage to his entire abdomen (if fish have those). So I think I'm pretty sure what (or who) the culprit of my fish angst is. I just pulled the last and biggest of the 3 Bumblebee cats out of the tank and put him in quarantine because it looks like he's been munching on the other fish. He'll be going back to my LFS tomorrow. He is about 3 inches long and very healthy (full grown for a SA, but I'm not so sure he's not an Asian given the aggresion). He was the only fish in the tank with a mouth big enough to do this kind of damage, and the damage is consistent with his mouth size. I thought I was fighting a fungal/bacterial problem, but I'm pretty sure this guy was just maiming the other fish when they would go dormant at night. If anyone else here has had experience with this sort of thing, ease let me know. There's still that little bit of hesitation that I could be wrong since all I've been able to observe is the aftermath of the attacks, and not the actual attacks.

Attachments

• 1434596762964.jpg
    1434596762964.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 286
Gena
Your tank is like an episode of The Sopranos.

alink
Wow! Sounds like someone is a trouble maker..

Honestly, the Asian Bumblebee and the South American don't look that much alike and should be easy to tell apart.

I have 2 SA Bumblebee catfish and I rarely see them since they only come out when the lights are off or at feeding time, but then they are swimming around so fast you can hardly see but a flash of them and they are gone lol. I haven't had any problems with mine and they are both about 2-2.5 inches.

slayer5590
Sounds like it could be Batrochoglanis raninus. They get mixed in with Microglanis sometimes and people don't know any difference until tank mates start disappearing.

mystic4407
Maybe he is a different species that just looks similar... He ended up quite a bit bigger than the other two Bumblebee cats I bought at the same time. Those two were very quick, while this guy is a bit of a lumberer. Must be fairly quick to be able to take a bite out of a tetra though. Regardless, I think I've solved the problem. I'll let my LFS know that he's a problem fish, and they'll resell him as such.

slayer5590
could you post a pic?

mystic4407
Ok, so I've had to take a step back from the situation. Just a follow up, my Bumblebee catfish is not a killer after all. I believe that I have Saprolegnia in my tank that is attacking my tetras, and other fish. I have had two more fish come down with the exact same symptoms after removing the Bumblebee from the tank. I am currently treating with Pimafix and water changes. My LFS has had a similar issue and coincidentally I didn't start having this problem until after I bought some new fish from them a couple weeks ago (I should have quarantined, I know). The guys there are calling it velvet. I don't think it's velvet though, and am treating for Saprolegnia after doing a lot of internet research. I just hope the Pimafix will put an end to this thing...

alink
Good luck with treatment. I am glad to hear it wasn't the catfish, but sorry to hear its a fungus. Just wanted to remind to you remove the activated carbon from your filter for effective treatment. You would be surprised how often that part is over looked!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fish 321
Replies
Views
Lauren4events
Replies
Views
Savanna
Replies
Views