Killer Black Skirts. Had anyone else dealt dealt with this?

1. Katiec90 Member Member

I was suggested to get some tetras for my Acara and Angelfish tank. One of the suggestions were Black Skirt Tetra. I bought 6, and they ate the tail and dorsal fin off my Angel (who is doing very well). i moved them to my goldfish tank. No long yummy fins, right? All was well for a few days, then I come home yesterday to a half eaten goldfish.

Has anyone else had killer tetras, or where mine just little demon spawn?

2. MuShu Initiate Member

Neon tetras are supposed to be shrimp safe. I had a little bugger that ate all of my shrimp.

3. Katiec90 Member Member

Little boogers. I'm trying to figure out how common it is, I really want some bleeding heart tetra but...I'm a little scared to get any now lol

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry this happened, I have a few, never any problems. I don't have any long fin fish(besides them), so that's probably why. Just want to let you know, the goldfish and the tetras can't be together, the tetras are warm water while goldfish are cold water. Welcome to the forum, glad your here!

5. Katiec90 Member Member

They were already returned to the petstore at this point, I had planned and getting them their own tank but...but it would have been another two days, and I wasn't looking to lose any more fish. I really just wanted some insight to how common it was with Tetra, since i was planning on Bleeding Hearts for my Angel tank.

6. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Ah ok, well the bleeding heart is a different species of Tetra and I don't know if they are prone to nipping or not. What I'd do is just look up what species you want and see if they are usually bad nippers. Sorry I can't be much help, I've only had a few types of tetra.

7. Katiec90 Member Member

Yeah hopefully I can get some accurate information this time lol. Thanks anyways for trying! I know there are alot of different kinds of tetra lol

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Not specifically helpful but I have glowlight tetras and black neon tetras in with one of my angels with no problems.

9. Katiec90 Member Member

My only worry about neons are fitting in my acaras mouth lol I might be able to swing the larger Glofish though

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Black neons aren't related to neon tetras. They're bigger and prefer warmer water;)