killed my fish... help!

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I did my weekly water changes in my 20 gallon, then my 55 gallon. used same tap water, python, algae scrubber and declorinator as always. finished the 20 gallon, then finished up the 55 gallon. It was probably 5 minutes after I finished filling the 55 gallon that I remembered to add the declorinator. I usually add it at the same time as the python is filling the tank with water.
Now, 30 minutes later 3 of the fish in that tank are dead. They gasped for air, tried to swim but fell to the bottom. and quickly died.
The fish in the 20 gallon are fine. The other fish in the 55 gallon seem to be okay... do you think it was the temp change, or the timing of adding the declorinator, or something else?
I'm really shook up, and my boyfriend is yelling at me that I can't have any more fish if I'm gonna be this upset when they die. I could kill him. unsympathetic jerk...anyway, can anyone shed some light? thanks for listening, guys.
Two of the fish were silver-tip tetra, and one was my rainbow that I spent all weekend researching which Australian creek he came from. (it was the Utchee in case anyone but me cares). anyway, I'll shut up now. thanks again,

denise :'( :'( :'(

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your fish. It could be either of the 2. How much of a temperature difference do you think it was? That happened to me once. I lost 3 zebra danios within 5 minutes of adding water back into my tank in the wintertime. I had the python hooked up to the hose outside, and it was quite a bit cooler than the tank. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you! :'(

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear that. :-[

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It could have been from adding the dechlorinator staight into the tank after it was full. I use Prime in my tanks and even though it says that you can add it straight to the tank I don't. When I do a water change with my python hose in the 100gal tank I drain it as normal, but when filling I reverse the flow and fill a 5gal buck and treat the water in the bucket, then pour the bucket into the tank.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone... :'( I had the python hooked up the bathroom sink... don't know exactly how big a change in temp - maybe 5 degrees? I'm just guessing.. maybe I'd just been lucky in adding the declorinator straight to the tank, and shouldn't do that again!! maybe I was slower than usual in the whole procedure..I really am stumped...I've been watching all the fish (and african dwarf frog) and they are all still alive. Maybe they are out of the woods, at least. what a cruddy night.

denise

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Again, I am so sorry. I have heard of folks losing fish by pouring the dechlor directly into the tank. I add mine to the stream coming out of the python as it's going into the tank.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about that!  i'm just starting up a tropical tank, have lost many goldfish in past, hurts. My fave fish died whilst i was at work, my ex put it in crisp packet and in the bin! i was gutted and he laughed at me! You are correct men CAN be jerks!!! :-\

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
See? That's why I am afraid to buy a Python. It just doesn't sound right to me that it's "safe" to add a dechlor. to a tank at the same time of filling it with new water. I mean ... I'll have to use a Python when I get a 75 gallon tank, but I am so afraid something may go wrong. How do I use Python safely? So far, I've been ALWAYS filling a bucket with tap water first, dechlorinating it there in the bucket, and only then adding the dechlorinated water to my tanks. I just can't imagine adding tap water to my tank, straight from the tap.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
well, everyone else in the tank survived...in fact the tetras were ready to eat a couple of hours later! (greedy little pigs!)
I've been using a python now for a couple of months, and love it, but I had always poured the Stress Coat (declorinator) in the water's flow like Gunnie does... until this time... I forgot, then added it after the tank was full. I'm guessing that must have been why the 3 died... I really loved Rambo (the rainbow).
Maybe to be safe I'll do like Tumbleweed instead. That takes longer, but at least I don't have to carry the bucket back and forth to the sink. If I could do it over I would have taken more time refilling the tank, and not killed my poor fish.

My boyfriend probably thinks I have forgotten his crappy remarks...just wait until I have a chance to go to the lfs! ka-ching!$$$
hee hee

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hopesmom said:
My boyfriend probably thinks I have forgotten his crappy remarks...just wait until I have a chance to go to the lfs! ka-ching!$$$
hee hee 
LOL ;D

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
See? That's why I am afraid to buy a Python. It just doesn't sound right to me that it's "safe" to add a dechlor. to a tank at the same time of filling it with new water. I mean ... I'll have to use a Python when I get a 75 gallon tank, but I am so afraid something may go wrong. How do I use Python safely? So far, I've been ALWAYS filling a bucket with tap water first, dechlorinating it there in the bucket, and only then adding the dechlorinated water to my tanks. I just can't imagine adding tap water to my tank, straight from the tap.
when I use mine to do a water change in the 100gal I fill buckets with the python right at the tank. Dechlorinate the water in the bauck then pour it in. Yes you still have to lift heavy buckets and pour them into the tank, but at least now you don't have to carry them around the house.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's what I imagined is the absolutely safest way to use Python. Thanks Tumbleweed. Looks like I'll have to get some huge barrel or large container for water changes when I get the 75 gallon tank ... lol

myfishskip

Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your fish.
I was coming to ask a question somewhat similar about dechlorinating water..
When adding the dechlor. to the bucket is there a certain amount of time you should wait before adding it to the tank?
I add mine to the bucket and feel like I should really wait before adding it to the main body of water in the tank..
Is there a general rule about this or ?

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi! the brand I use (Stress Coat) says it works instantly. I have used this brand since July with no problems.
I just seem to be the biggest problem :-\
welcome to fishlore!
Denise

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your fish! :'( :'( It is so hard to lose them when we invest so much of ourselves in them. Of course you are not going to let him get by with those remarks $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!

I hope you will be okay.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks, Rose!
well today was my first water change since I had the mishap. I was so nervous, I couldn't believe it. I made sure "he" was gone, and the kids were gone too, so my fish had my complete attention. I checked the temp in both tanks before I cleaned them, and I had the water going back in tanks the same temp. I added the declorinator to the tanks in the stream from the python, and gently stirred the water in the tank with my hand as it filled. I added the declorinator little by little.
phew!
all is well!!
tanks are warm and clean. fish are happy.
thank God that's over....until next week!
I'm seriously thinking of ordering fish online, as my car is still on the fritz. wonder if they mail fish in the winter?
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh, I just read a thread by JackieN about that, and read your response! thanks! that's ok, I will forgive my boyfriend's stupid remarks, but I won't forget when I do get to a lfs! ;D
Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just to add my two cents worth- I too add my dechlor to the stream of water going back into my tanks
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Question for if no WHEN I ever need a python -- do you who add the dechlor to the incoming water measure out the dechlor beforehand, or do you just kind of pour in as long as the water keeps coming?

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I measured the dechlor before I turned on the water, then little - by - little I poured it into the flow of water coming out of the python and into the tank, then I gently stirred the water throughout the entire tank with my hand just for my own peace of mind
Denise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom