Question Khulli Loach panting?

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok so i noticed one of my loaches laying on the bottom of my tank like panting or breathing really fast....is this normal? its like the 3rd time ive seen him since i got them a few days ago. its like he lays there almost "playing dead" and then takes off to a new spot and lays there again for a while not moving but panting really hard.

Khulli loaches

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's spelled Kuhli, just so you know.

Maybe it's stressed. They do very well in large groups. In a 55 gallon tank, there is plenty of room for more. Don't get two more, get like five more for a total of 6. That's what I'm going to do.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well i now currently have 3kuhli loaches 6neon tetras 5prestilla tetras a redfined shark and a clown pleco in a 55gallon hex that i started around 2months ago. im sceptical of adding more untill i know for sure my tank can support the bioload that will be dumped on it with the addition of more fish at this time. my goal after researching most of these fish is to have a total of 5 loaches and im getting danios i think. depending on what the little woman thinks :-\

thanks tho i didnt really think it would have been stress being that there isnt any aggressive behavior between any of my fish and the fact that the bottom of my tank is covered in hiding spots. but ive been wrong before ;D

anyone have any other ideas? im just afraid to lose one so quickly after gettin them...or losing one at all i guess

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's typical kuhli loach behavior. They are odd little fish that can throw people for a loop until they get used to the fishs antics. Kuhlis have a very small bioload. I agree - they are much more active in a larger group.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
also do an immediate test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates as this is also a sign of water perimeters might be off....and loaches are very sensitive to such things

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
to FishLore!

That's typical kuhli loach behavior. They are odd little fish that can throw people for a loop until they get used to the fishes antics. Kuhlis have a very small bioload. I agree - they are much more active in a larger group.
Totally agree!

also do an immediate test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates as this is also a sign of water perimeters might be off....and loaches are very sensitive to such things
They are really sensitive to anything off in the water. When you notice a problem a water change is your first line of defense (makes the fish feel better and makes you feel better too )

I don't know which Kuhli Loach you have so here's some information on the two most common.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-oblonga/?searchterm=pangio oblonga
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom