Kh Is 0??? (fluval Stratum)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sakana魚, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

Hmmm so my 15g tank has deff changed with the fluval Stratum.
    This is my 29g and its what my 15g used to be before I switched to fluval Stratum.
    IMG_20180412_192134.jpg

This is my 15g
    IMG_20180412_192113.jpg

I noticed the KH is gone, I have no idea what it is, should I be concerned with its absence? I plan on this being a heavily planted shrimp/betta tank.

2. L

Luciferene Valued Member Member

Fluval Stratum is a buffering substrate. It's supposed to strip KH and lower pH.

3. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

Ah ok. I knew it changed ph but I didn't know it effected KH so I was a little worried, haha. Glad to know its normal.

4. ams083

ams083 Valued Member Member

I would be worried. 0 kH means you essentially have no buffer, and are at risk of pH swings and crashes.

5. L

Luciferene Valued Member Member

KH is not the only type of buffer and KH will actually tend to buffer towards higher pH.

Active substrates like fluval stratum lowers pH by stripping KH, thereby creating acidic softwater environment friendly for plants and some softwater dwarf shrimp species.

You should monitor pH weekly though, as active substrates will be exhausted. That's why a lot of shrimp keepers will change their substrate every year or so. And fluval substrate is known to have even shorter buffering life than other active substrates.

If you use remineralized (GH only) RO water or have low KH tap, buffering life of your substrate will be longer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice