Kh/gh and tannin investigation

Pfrozen

How high does my Kh (and Gh) need to be in order to add something like indian almond leaves to my tank without lowering the Ph?

Water parameters:

Ph 7.0
Gh 7-8
Kh 4-5

Thanks.

Pfrozen

Bump. I had an essay here but deleted it all so no one would TL;DR me

Upvote 0

Doom

I think IAL barely affects your pH, that's if it affects it at all. I know some people use it without noticing a change in the pH. Though, letting the leave dissolves will lower your pH.

Over time, anything natural added to your tank will begin to dissolve and degrade. It is the dissolving of seashells that raise the calcium levels and pH of water, and it is the dissolving of Indian Almond leaves and release of tannic acid that lowers the pH level.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I think IAL barely affects your pH, that's if it affects it at all. I know some people use it without noticing a change in the pH.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Doom

Thank you!
I added information to my previous post that may interest you... if you change your leaves before it dissolves you should be fine with your pH.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I am told a KH of 6 will mean it’s very difficult to move the PH around by adding tannins.

As you have 4-5 KH just be careful .

I do not wish to argue, but I have found with the KH of my water that just the tea from a cold stew of leaves is enough to lower the PH slightly.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I am told a KH of 6 will mean it’s very difficult to move the PH around by adding tannins.

As you have 4-5 KH just be careful .

I do not wish to argue, but I have found with the KH of my water that just the tea from a cold stew of leaves is enough to lower the PH slightly.
image.jpg
Thanks for the info, very helpful!

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

That does help, although I would be letting them dissolve.. I'm going to simulate a rasbora habitat as close as possible so I want to do Blackwater if possible.. but I also want to keep shrimp. Should be fun!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
User1
  • Question
Replies
Views
fishnovice33
Replies
Views
AZL