KH/GH adjustment help????

Cue

I’m prepping a tank for some cherry shrimp, my KH/GH test kit finally got here too! And…. KH 2, GH 1. How do increase them? Is there a way to increase them without having to add extra stuff? I’m not super sure how I feel about chasing a number….

jtjgg

you'll need a little more KH to prevent the pH from crashing. what's the pH in the tank?

since the nitrogen cycle produces acid, you can put a bag of crushed coral/shells in the filter.

PAcanis

I'll trade you water.
;)

Cue

you'll need a little more KH to prevent the pH from crashing. what's the pH in the tank?

since the nitrogen cycle produces acid, you can put a bag of crushed coral/shells in the filter.
That actually makes sense! The PH recently crashed from 7.5 to 6.5, I’ll pick up some crushed coral later today. Is there a certain amount you should use or do you just shove it in the filter? Can you put it in the substrate?

I haven’t changed the water, just topped it up. Could that be a factor?

LowConductivity

I haven’t changed the water, just topped it up. Could that be a factor?
Yes. 100% a factor.

beneficial bacteria eat fish waste (ammonia), and also eat carbonate hardness (KH)

Cue

Yes. 100% a factor.

beneficial bacteria eat fish waste (ammonia), and also eat carbonate hardness (KH)
Just did a 50% water change, I’ll test again after everything settles down.

Update: did another test, absolutely no change. Guess I’ll be picking up some crushed coral.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rammsteinfan
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views
MrMuggles
Replies