Kh Drop With New Tropica Soil

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have just re-scaped my 110 L (29 g) tank using Tropica soil. It's only been one week. Tropica recommends a 50% water change on day 3 and 7 they don't say why. What I have found today was the drop counter in the blue and the KH 1 degree, I suspect less than this. The tap water is at KH 5 degrees. GH 9 degrees.

What I am asking is as this is a buffering substrate can I expect these initial fluctuations. A bit hard to tell with pH as I am injecting CO2. After 50% water changes the KH was 3 degrees. I am also EI dosing which means ferts are getting washed away. I guess giving another dose is not going to hurt as the EI system is overdosing.

I would like to hear from anyone using this substrate or has good knowledge. No, this one does not leach ammonia.

Thanks..

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Robert!

Reading from their webpage, I would guess that it will continue to lower the KH for a while, but over time, it will eventually lose its buffering capacity. I don't know whether it'll continue to lower KH by so much after those 4 weeks, but my guess would be that it'll stop lowering the KH by that much (though it may still lower it by 1-2 degrees), and that's why they recommend more often water changes during that time.

Do you have fish in the tank? If you don't, I wouldn't worry about doing the water changes twice a week if you're worried about wasting ferts. You could likely just do it weekly as normal.

Sorry I don't know exact info about this substrate, but that would be my guess!

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Hi Robert!

Reading from their webpage, I would guess that it will continue to lower the KH for a while, but over time, it will eventually lose its buffering capacity. I don't know whether it'll continue to lower KH by so much after those 4 weeks, but my guess would be that it'll stop lowering the KH by that much (though it may still lower it by 1-2 degrees), and that's why they recommend more often water changes during that time.

Do you have fish in the tank? If you don't, I wouldn't worry about doing the water changes twice a week if you're worried about wasting ferts. You could likely just do it weekly as normal.

Sorry, I don't know exact info about this substrate, but that would be my guess!
Thanks for getting back so quick. It is basically what I was thinking. I had some problem with the fish in there temporary home and I put them back last night. They seem to be happy but the shifting KH will result in some pH shift as the CO2 tried to get stable. If I have to bo an extra water change I can repeat fert dosing. What I desperately want to avoid is an algal bloom. and I know how quick that can happen. Tropica has a strange regime.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since you do have fish in there, frequent water changes to prevent the KH from going too low and causing a pH fluctuation sounds like a good idea then.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom