Keystone's Aquarium Books

1. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

Hi,

Just stumbled across this section of the forums. I bought and moved into a house 2 years ago. The attic and cellar have have been full of unpacked boxes ever since. Finally got serious about organizing it all last week. Yesterday I opened a box full of aquarium books. Thought I would post one here every week or so. Here's first out of the box:

Simon & Schuster's Complete Guide To Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Fishes

Original Italian version copyright 1976
    English version copyright 1977

295 pages plus index. Price tag still on back cover - paid $9.95 where ever I bought it

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Here is book #2:

Catfish by Drs. C.W. Emmens & Herbert R. Axelrod

Copyright 1968 TFH Publications, 96 pages

I can't find a price, but there is an ad to subscribe to TFH magazine - 3 years for $20.

Only briefly touches most catfish families except for Callichthydae and then mostly focuses on Corydoras. Well illustrated with photographs and drawings.

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Book #3

Tropical Fish by Mervin Roberts

Copyright 1970 TFH Publications

128 pages - price tag is still on, paid $2.99

First 32 pages are dedicated to setting up an aquarium. Remainder of book is roughly one page per species. The header gives the scientific & common names, explains the meaning of the scientific name, where the fish occurs naturally and what size it will reach. Below the header a description of the fish is given with sections on temperament, breeding, sex differences & temperature requirements. At least one photo for every species...about a 50/50 split between color & B&W pics

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Book #4:

Enjoy the Tetras by Rosario S. La Corte

Copyright The Pet Library, no year given

32 pages

A basic beginners guide to keeping and breeding Tetras. Ton of great photos for such a small book

For some reason I can't attach the photo of the book's cover - will try again when I figure out what is wrong

5. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Looks okay now - here is cover photo for book #4

Attached Files:

6. Ski

Ski Valued Member Member

You will find a big change in the what, how and why of fish keeping recommended in those old books and current thought.
    I've been in and out of this hobby for over 55 years and I've found that it is best to look at both points of view. Then use some common sense, and temper current advice with what has worked for you in keeping your fish happy and healthy.
    Oh yeah, don't off hand believe every opinion (and, in most cases that is that this info is, opinions) you read on internet sites as the gospel.

7. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Oh - I know - that's part of the fun of seeing these books for the time in years - been keeping aquariums for over 40 years myself

8. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Book #5

Enjoy Your Tropical Fish Picture Book

Copyright The Pet Library, no year listed

No author listed

32 pages, price unknown

A photo ID book listed 50+ species. Color photo, scientific & common names. Notes whether a livebearer or egglayer. Notes size and where occurs naturally followed by a few descriptive sentences.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Book #6:

Cowries - Second Revised Edition

Copyright 1975 & 1979 TFH Publications

Written by Jerry G. Walls

286 pages

There is a small section on live cowries, but this book is primarily a photo ID guide for shell collectors. The military sent me to Okinawa in 1984 - I bought this and had it shipped over when I stated diving off Maeda Point. Book is full of high quality color photos and also has an identification key.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Keystone

Book #7

The Piranha Book

Edited by Dr. George S. Myers

Copyright 1972 TFH Publications

128 pages

This book is an attempt to dispel anecdotal tales of piranhas and present accurate information about them from scientists in a non-scientific format. It is a collection of 6 earlier works from Drs. Myers, Herbert Axelrod & Harald Schultz ranging from 1949 - 1971.

Lavishly illustrated with quality color, B&W photos and drawings.

Attached Files: