Keyholes Or Bolivans For My 55 With Angels And Kuhlis? 55 Gallon Tank

1. Braydens Bettas Member Member

I've got a few questions here so get ready.

1. Am I crazy in thinking that kuhlis are compatible with Firemouthes/Elliotis?

2. Is a 55g tall (36"x24"x14.5") ok for 2 firemouths?

3. Is 2-3 angels, 10 kuhlis, 1-2 bristlenoses, 2 Murray river rainbows and 2 firemouths ok in a 55g tall?

4. How long does it take for a firemouth to reach 6inches?

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

1) I would not put kuhlis with a firemouth or any other thorichthys
    2) Yes
    3) See 1 for kuhli opinion. I think a 36 inch long tank would only be large enough for one species of cichlid (maybe 2 if you did angels and a dwarf cichlid). Rainbows are schoolers so you'd want to up those numbers to at least 6
    4) probably a year or 2. not sure

3. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

You Could Do
    2 Firemouths(1 Male 1 Female) or 5 Bolivian Rams(1 Male 4 Females)
    1-2 BN Plecos
    8 Australian Rainbows/Murray River Rainbows
    1 EBA
    1 Blue Acara

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I respectfully disagree. I would not put a pair of firemouths in a 36 inch tank with any other cichlid. Their breeding aggression would be too much for acaras. You might get away with putting bolivians in with an eba or a blue acara in a 36 inch tank but it would be more of a risk than a sure thing.

If you want a thorichthys species in a 36 inch tank, i'd do a pair and leave it at that. You can fill in with the rainbows, plecos, and some bottom dwelling fish (not kuhlis) after that.

5. Braydens Bettas Member Member

Thanks Guys. Im getting rid of the 2 rainbows. Giving them a better home with someone else as I only have 2. I am keeping my 2 angels and the kuhlis no matter what. My kuhlis mean a lot to me, IDK why but i love to watch them. Hows this for stocking? - 3 angels, 10 Kuhlis, 2 bristlenoses and 4 Bolivian rams (2m 2f) or 3 Keyhole Cichlids (1m 2f)

Also I would Prefer to have a Cichlid that is at least 3+ inches. I know that Bolivian barely make it but you get my point

I've decided to get 3 or 4 keyhole Cichlids.
    So now the stocking will be as follows:
    3x angelfish
    10x kuhli loach
    4x keyhole Cichlid

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you should keep the angels to 2. Angels don't do well in odd numbers unless we are talking very large numbers.

Other than that, I think it's worth a shot.

7. Braydens Bettas Member Member

Well ive had 3 for a while with no issues so im not too keen on removing one

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would swap the BN plecos for clown plecos, clown plecos are fine in the warmer water angels need but BN plecos prefer cooler water.
    GBR would be more temperature compatible than bolivians

I agree that a pair of angels is better than 3. Keeping 3 angels usually ends in disaster even if they are ok right now.

9. Braydens Bettas Member Member

No. Ive already got the tank sorted out. I've had the BN, angels and kuhlis since January. Im just adding 3 or 4 Keyholes.
    If anyone knows if convicts will kill kuhlis let me know

10. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Stay away from convicts in that size tank I've had convicts beat up oscars before.

Go for keyholes they are beautiful and peaceful

11. Braydens Bettas Member Member

Ok Ill just go with 3 or 4 Keyholes

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about rainbow cichlids?

13. Braydens Bettas Member Member

No Ive already made up my mind. Plus they are really expensive in australia

14. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

OK. Keyholes should be fine.

15. Braydens Bettas Member Member

Since im a very visual person I printed out scale pictures of the Keyholes and for my tank size and stocking im Going to get 3
    So the total stocking will be:
    10x Kuhlis
    3x Angelfish
    3x Keyhole Cichlids
    2x Bristlenoses
    The Dimensions of the tank are 36" Long 24" Tall and 14.5" Deep Due to less space on the bottom is why im getting 3 not 4.

16. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Where about in Australia are you?

17. Braydens Bettas Member Member

Newcastle NSW. I Ordered My keyholes through work today (i work at my LFS. its my first job)

18. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Nice I'm just down the M1 on the central coast

19. Zahc Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hijack, but it's crazy how close us 3 are haha, i'm less than 2 hours north of Newy (Port Macquarie NSW).

I agree with everything @tyguy7760 has said.

Rainbow cichlids should be really cheap though? They are easily bred and common. My LFS sells them for around $15-25 a piece depending on TL, and you can find them online easily aswell.

20. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

It's funny you spend so much time speaking to Americans and using gallons etc. and then there's 3 of us on the east coast of oz within 3 hours of each other