75 Gallon Tank Keyhole's Laid Eggs - Advice

Rogue04

As the title says, I have a pair of keyholes that paired up and recently laid eggs. I'm excited because I didn't intend on possible fish babies, but also have no clue what to do.

20211020_212251.jpg
Pic of my tank, and the very left side where the jungle of pog. Octopus plant is where they laid eggs.

For starters, I have 3 keyholes. So yeah, the third wheel is constantly chased out of the left side of the tank. And my proud father keyhole to be, is valiantly standing up to the EBA who is at least 3 times his size. He's lucky the acara is pretty mellow and hasn't torn him to bits, and its quite amusing to see him circle the EBA at mach speed. He seems to not care about the angelfish, gently pushes the corys away and the two BNPs, and leaves the school of red eye tetras alone.

Do you guys think the eggs will hatch? It seems to me that its highly unlikely any will make it with how many other fish are in the tank.

Should I leave them to their own devices? And let nature run its course.

And if some do hatch, do they defend their young, too? I've read, so far, conflicting info.

And lastly, if I wanted to, can I take the log they laid the eggs on and put it in a breeding box to raise the fry?

Any other advice would be great!

Leeman75

First of, congratulations! I think your best bet of survival is to take out the log and put it in a breeder box as you suggested. Would love to see which direction you go in and how they fare!

Keyholes are so awesome...I have a trio and have tried to get breeding to happen, to no avail. Best of luck with your project!!

LowConductivity

Fun!

if the goal is to yield fry, I’d let nature take its course with this batch, and start preparing a species only breeding tank.

if the goal is not to yield fry, I’d carry on and enjoy the show.

stealing eggs to rear fry isn’t much fun, and the parents are way better at the parenting than we are

Rogue04

First of, congratulations! I think your best bet of survival is to take out the log and put it in a breeder box as you suggested. Would love to see which direction you go in and how they fare!

Keyholes are so awesome...I have a trio and have tried to get breeding to happen, to no avail. Best of luck with your project!!
I thought I had three males. Couldn't tell tem apart because they all had long trailers. The father in his dark breeding colors looks fabulous!
Fun!

if the goal is to yield fry, I’d let nature take its course with this batch, and start preparing a species only breeding tank.

if the goal is not to yield fry, I’d carry on and enjoy the show.

stealing eggs to rear fry isn’t much fun, and the parents are way better at the parenting than we are

I was downsizing. Just tore down the 37 gallon I had. I guess I'll have to think about setting it back up if I do want to become a fish dad. Or evict my betta of his new 10 gallon... So much to think of!

Should I worry about my keyhole getting into some trouble with the eba?

TClare

To answer one of your questions, yes they do care for their fry, but they probably won’t be able to defend them long term in the community tank. I agree it’s best to let them get on with it this time, watch what they do, then they will spawn again pretty soon. If you want to raise some fry but don’t have space for a dedicated breeding tank I think it is easier not to take the eggs but wait until they are free swimming then take out some of the fry with a siphon or turkey baster.

Rogue04

Thanks a bunch for the input. My worries have been solved as I came home from work and all the eggs are now gone. Guessing some the corys gobbled them up.

Now to wait for the next time!

TClare

They may have eaten them themselves, not unusual for a first attempt. If they were protecting them properly the cories would not get a chance to eat them.

Pfrozen

The silver lining is that they will likely lay eggs again and you may even have some fry survive after a few tries

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gen120
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
JakeDfish
Replies