Keyhole emergency, laying on substrate

Dan1984

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 80l
How long has the tank been running? A month (seeded with cycled media)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What is the water temperature?24 degrees C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 juvenile keyhole cichlids

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I only added them yesterday so I don’t know I was just playing it by ear
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?sometimes both but more often just change the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
pH:7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?twice a day, morning and night
How much do you feed your fish? This morning I gave them some broken up hikari gold cichlid pellets and this evening some tetra prima granules just a pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 2 hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish changed colour from the usual greyish with black markings to very dark black and very light white colours
Have you started any treatment for the illness? 60% water change
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?lay very still barely breathing

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Hi everyone, I currently have 6 juvenile Keyholes in a 80l tank, hoping that 2 will pair up and the rest will go back to the LFS. I first noticed something was wrong a few hours ago when one of them just shuffled around on its belly leaving a track in the sand, seemed like he couldn’t get off the bottom other than that he was shuffling round ok and eating. An hour later I went to check on him and 2 were lay motionless on the substrate barely breathing, in fact I thought they were dead which was a very sudden down turn. Could this be because I added some esha gdex (praziquantel) as a precaution against parasites?
Anyone?

Patman0519

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 80l
How long has the tank been running? A month (seeded with cycled media)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What is the water temperature?24 degrees C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 juvenile keyhole cichlids

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I only added them yesterday so I don’t know I was just playing it by ear
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?sometimes both but more often just change the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
pH:7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?twice a day, morning and night
How much do you feed your fish? This morning I gave them some broken up hikari gold cichlid pellets and this evening some tetra prima granules just a pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 2 hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish changed colour from the usual greyish with black markings to very dark black and very light white colours
Have you started any treatment for the illness? 60% water change
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?lay very still barely breathing

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Hi everyone, I currently have 6 juvenile Keyholes in a 80l tank, hoping that 2 will pair up and the rest will go back to the LFS. I first noticed something was wrong a few hours ago when one of them just shuffled around on its belly leaving a track in the sand, seemed like he couldn’t get off the bottom other than that he was shuffling round ok and eating. An hour later I went to check on him and 2 were lay motionless on the substrate barely breathing, in fact I thought they were dead which was a very sudden down turn. Could this be because I added some esha gdex (praziquantel) as a precaution against parasites?
Anyone?
Chiclids...all o have seen in my experience like to eat and spit out substrate,some are just not as intelligent as others and end up swallowing it...so basically just sit there and monitor them and see how what happens,I'd cut the feeding out for a day or so.

Upvote 0

Dan1984

Sorry I should have said, these weren’t just say of the bottom they were lay on their side

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PrinklesRupee
Replies
Views
lunanightlock
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies