Keyhole Cichlid Sulking in Cave

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Avejim, Jan 12, 2013.

1. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here because my tank has experienced a time of relative peace and health. I've really been enjoying my aquarium the past few months because there have been no problems. Until yesterday, that is. Yesterday my Keyhole Cichlid (who has always been at the bottom of the pecking order) decided he'd had enough of being the lowest of the low so he sparred with the Gold Gourami (she's pretty much second-in-command of the tank). Neither fish sustained any injuries from their fights over the course of the day, but the Keyhole cichlid, for lack of better vocabulary, got his a** kicked by the Gourami. Now he's been sulking in his cave the past few days. He'll come out, but he never eats. Will this pass? He and the Gourami aren't fighting anymore, I think she's established her dominance enough for him to get the message. Should I be worried or should I give him a few days and see if he starts to come out and eat again?

EDIT: Also, let it be known that I have never had any problems with my Gold Gourami being over aggressive. The Keyhole Cichlid started the sparring and my Gold Gourami retaliated in defence. (Though she did give him some good chases after he attacked her.)

2. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

what size tank is it? Are you sure he isn't ill or injured? Sounds stressed to me

3. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

29 gallon tank. He isn't injured, but I'm sure he's stressed. Also, not sure if this would play a part but I noticed a little ich on one of my cories today. I'm doing heat treatment on the tank.

4. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

Actually, I just noticed his slime coat is a little damaged, likely from the fight. But other than that no other injuries.

5. steve_58Valued MemberMember

You might need to think about seperating them. Keyholes are generally shy and easily intimidated and unless breeding don't bother any other fish.they are growing i'm sure and starting to decide they need more room.The 29 might be becoming to cramped for them. My experience with gourami's once they get a little grown and find out they can be in charge they can become bullies.

6. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

The gourami normally never bothers anyone. It was the keyhole who came up and fought her. He was trying to challenge the pecking order.

7. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

I should probably grab some stress coat tomorrow for my keyhole.

8. AvejimWell Known MemberMember

Update: Today he's grazing on algae. He has some ich from the stress he went through, but it's no big deal, a little heat treatment and stress coat and his ich will be gone in no time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice