Keyhole Cichlid eggs

toeknee
My mated Keyhole Cichlids decided to lay their eggs in a cave easy enough to get a video of. There's too many other fish in here for them to ever have much of a chance to make it. I never really try to save the eggs I wouldn't have anywhere to put more Keyholes if any actually survived. Either way here's a little video of their egg clutch, they laid them right on the sand so they're a little tough to see.

A201
Really pretty tank. There might be enough plants to enable a few babies to get by.
I never thought any of my African Cichlid fry would survive either, but a few do occasionally make it.

GlennO
Very cool. Always nice to see them doing what comes naturally. I think that Bolivian knows there's something tasty over there, they better not turn their backs on him. ;)

Eaton
I know this is a bit unrelated but would you mind explaining what its like keeping keyhole cichlids and how they act

jmaldo
Beautiful Tank!
As mentioned you may end up with a few survivors. I did without plants, the two I found were hiding under a sponge filter.

Good Luck!

toeknee
I'm not sure how long the eggs have been there but this morning when the lights came on they were gone. I'm assuming gobbled up but maybe there's some wigglers in there somewhere. There's plenty of Cory Cats and Kuhlie loaches roaming the tank floor at night I'm assuming they got to them.
Eaton said:
I know this is a bit unrelated but would you mind explaining what its like keeping keyhole cichlids and how they act
Keyholes are a peaceful cichlid for the most part and good community fish. I even have tiny ember tetras with them and they don't bother them or any other fish. They're sociable and like to be in little groups. They're usually mellow and just cruise around the tank but they are Cichlids so they are occasionally in "excited" moods and get all riled up and chase eachother around the tank. Mated pairs are couples for life, when they spawn they can get a little feisty towards tank mates but all they do is chase them away from their spawning site for a few days. I've never seen them cause eachother or other fish actual harm. You'll want atleast a 40 breeder or larger to keep a small group of them. Maybe you could do 3 in a 30 gallon but I think that might be pushing it. Technically 5 keyholes would be a good number to have in my 55 gallon, but I ordered online and bought 7 expecting a loss or two in shipping but everyone survived. All 7 have been doing great in my tank for almost 3 years now. My largest dominant male is almost 5 inches but most will stay in the 4 inch range. Very entertaining fish, highly recommend if you have the space for them.

Eaton
Great thanks for that

jmaldo
toeknee said:
I'm assuming gobbled up but maybe there's some wigglers in there somewhere.
I thought the same when I first started breeding cichlids. But it turns out the parents will move the eggs and wigglers to various spots.

Fingers-crossed.
Good Luck!

TClare
jmaldo said:
I thought the same when I first started breeding cichlids. But it turns out the parents will move the eggs and wigglers to various spots.

Fingers-crossed.
Good Luck!
I have never known them to move the eggs, but yes, once hatched they move the wrigglers, sometimes several times before they are free swimming. They have often dug a few holes already to put the wrigglers in, but if this is the case the parents will still be guarding, and fanning them. ( Not keyholes specifically as I have never bred them, but substrate spawning cichlids in general).

GlennO
TClare said:
I have never known them to move the eggs, but yes, once hatched they move the wrigglers, sometimes several times before they are free swimming. They have often dug a few holes already to put the wrigglers in, but if this is the case the parents will still be guarding, and fanning them. ( Not keyholes specifically as I have never bred them, but substrate spawning cichlids in general).
It's funny to watch them when they first become free swimming. Trying to put all of their wandering fry back into the pit. Stressful time for mum & dad!

Latest threads

Top Bottom