Keyhole Cichlid Chasing/aggression

Ravynn

I had my 4 Keyholes in QT for almost 3 weeks and I believe a pair was formed as breeding tubes dropped (they were also the only 2 that showed no aggression towards eachother) and they tried to clear out an area and lay eggs but either they didn't or the eggs were eaten. I am assuming the other 2 are male and female but not a pair. There has been relentless chasing across the tank/running into the glass, fin nipping, shimmying, gill flaring and digging sand pits.

They were moved into the 40 gallon yesterday and the same behavior is happening. One second all 4 of them will be sifting the sand together or swimming up and down the glass together then all of a sudden everyone is being chased. One of the ones not in a pair; I call him the "rogue male" has a new split down his tail fin from the chasing today..

Is this them establishing a pecking order and it will slowly die down or do I need to remove/get rid of 1 or 2 Keyholes? (which I really don't want to do)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Momgoose56

They've got plenty of room now but you might think of getting some 'dither' fish to distract your Cichlids from each other. Zebra Danios or tetras (larger varieties) in group of six or more might help. A bigger group of 10 or more would look great in that tank.

Ravynn

Momgoose56 said:
They've got plenty of room now but you might think of getting some 'dither' fish to distract your Cichlids from each other. Zebra Danios or tetras (larger varieties) in group of six or more might help. A bigger group of 10 or more would look great in that tank.
Yes I've been trying to decide what type to get. I'd like a nice group of tetra or harlequin rasbora and a small group of cories. Can't decide between rummynose, cardinal, black neon, bleeding heart or harlequins.

It's just the fin nipping that's concerning .. kind of stressful to watch too.

Momgoose56

Ravynn said:
Yes I've been trying to decide what type to get. I'd like a nice group of tetra or harlequin rasbora and a small group of cories. Can't decide between rummynose, cardinal, black neon, bleeding heart or harlequins.

It's just the fin nipping that's concerning .. kind of stressful to watch too.
I know! So the sooner the "dither" the better lol! I'd advise getting whatever fish are most compatible with your pH and water hardness just to avoid that issue.

Ravynn

Momgoose56 said:
I know! So the sooner the "dither" the better lol! I'd advise getting whatever fish are most compatible with your pH and water hardness just to avoid that issue.
I was going to get whatever schooling fish I chose and put them in QT to make sure they don't have ich and to pre-treat with Prazi. Hopefully they can hold out until then!

Edit: After watching for another while, it seems as though the dominant male in the pair is the one mainly chasing the other 2.

Ravynn

I think I am going to have to take the other 2 out and leave the pair in. This morning the female in the pair has her breeding tube dropped some more and she's also chasing the others like the male does. The male that's not in the pair keeps getting chased up into the high, dark corners of the tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom