Keyhole Cichlid Breeding Aggression?

toeknee

Hello all. I have an 8 month old 55 gallon heavily planted tank with 7-keyhole cichlids, 12 harlequin rasboras, 12 peppered corys, 1 bolivian ram and 1 rio-negro pleco. Two of my keyholes have paired off, they laid eggs a month and a halfish ago and I didn't notice too much aggression. They mostly stayed near their eggs and chased everyone who got near away. I haven't been able to find eggs this time yet but the same two are definitely in spawning mode again. they have been clearing and cleaning a spawning site for 2-3 days now,But this time around the female is TERRORIZING EVERYONE in the tank CONSTANTLY ALLLLLLL DAAAAAAYYYY. No where is safe for anyone else besides her mate. She's severely biting my cory cats, rasboras....everyone! Even nearby ramshorn snails aren't safe from her. If she even glimpses at another fish on the other side of the tank she'll bolt after them. How long does this spawning process take before she lays her eggs?? I'm removing them the second I find them to restore order in the tank once again. Aside from spawning time everyone gets along great.

A201

Welcome to the Cichlid keepers club. You ought to see what happens when my Africans begin to nest. Off the chart aggression.
Don't panic. You can try the usual things like adjusting the hardscape, creating more hiding spots & line of sight breaks.
You might even try dropping the temp. A couple of degrees. As long as no damage is occurring to the tankmates, likely just a temporary headache.

toeknee

Haha. Considering Keyholes are maybe the most docile of cichlids in the hobby I couldn't imagine Africans during spawning. There's no damage being done to anyone, just making everyone hide constantly for the most part. When it comes to Cichlids I've only ever had Dwarf Cichlids and this is my first mated pair I've had to deal with. I'm so used to trying to create a peaceful harmony in my tanks that these guys really throw off the feng shuI I've tried to make! Oh well I can deal with it for a few days as long as no one's getting hurt. How long do your Africans usually take to lay eggs from when you first start noticing nest building?

A201

The Aulonocara nesting slap down usually lasts four or five days. The female carries the babies in her mouth, but when she eventually spits them out, the feeding frenzy begins.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
MissRuthless
Replies
Views
edevingo
Replies
Views