Keyhole and a Ram?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tried asking in stocking section with little result, maybe anyone over here will have an answer. I have 5 gold barbs in my 26g, would 1 keyhole and 1 bolivian ram be able to coexist ok? there's a small Pleco in there too btw.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability wise there shouldn't be a problem with the Keyhole, unless it's a particularly aggressive Keyhole. The Barbs might be a bit active for the Bolivian. IME they like less active tank mates or they show stress through faded colours & hiding alot.

It could be a bit much for them to share 26gal floorspace though. Perhaps if your really clever with the decor layout & provide 2 very clear territories so each cichlid has somewhere to defend against the other it MIGHT work out.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was planning on arranging things so it was pretty clearly divided, and make a cave on one side and a cluster of dense plants on the other side then a split line up the middle with my pleco's driftwood. The thing about the barbs being too active is a bit of a concern, I've heard some people say barbs and bolivians are good tank mates, but you're not the first to say they're too active. I guess it's one of those different every time somebody tries it situations. I suppose if one or the other seems distinctly unhappy I'll have to take him back to the store.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I assume a pair of bolivian rams would be over the top with the keyhole? either a pair or 1 and 1? I know it doesn't account for territory issues but aqadvisor puts me at 116% with 2 rams and the keyhole. Would the paired rams harass the **** out of the keyhole?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so after a little over a week the keyhole and ram seem to be doing great! The keyhole isn't nearly as brown as he was at the store and his "keyhole" is much more distinct. The Ram has a lot more yellow now and some cool shining blues on his fins. the keyhole too has a little blue on the analfin and yellow on the pectorals. The Ram stays out in the front of the tank mostly in the open, the keyhole's zone is the plants in the back, as he gets chased occasionally by the Ram, bit he chases the barbs away from the plants, and the Ram gets chased away from the algae wafers by the Pleco. :) everyone has their place.

Unexpected keyhole behavior though, I had some BBA spreading on my plants, one day he ate it, all! Haven't seen a single hair of it since. Had heard they weren't fond of algae, but he likes it quite a bit apparently. Odd.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads