Ketchup - My kid’s first betta and 10 gallon

lojack

Edit: I just realized I was in the “journal” forum instead of the “build” one. Mods please feel free to move whenever you see fit.

We were at a local chain pet store and my youngest was checking out the bettas. He had been wanting one for over a year, but he didn’t think he was ready for the responsibility (he’s 6).

My son immediately bonded with this sickly and boring looking betta and decided he was ready. We went home, talked about it and he wanted to pay with his own money (his first real purchase). He brought his wallet with him and proudly took this guy home and named him “Ketchup.”

62500361-F8DC-4A3E-A056-21EDA2B14E1E.jpeg

Turns out that Ketchup only needed a little TLC from my kid. What a difference a couple of days make. My wife and I think he’s the luckiest betta because I don’t think anyone would have taken him home based on his looks at the store. Definitely and ugly duckling scenario.

0C18D0AE-6773-44CA-8D60-4FC1B9DC2E11.jpeg

Luckily a rival chain store is having their $1 a gallon sale and we were able to get a 10 gallon and glass lid for relatively cheap. My kid picked out his own decorations and we took some crypts, an anubias and a small piece of driftwood from our main tank. Had to buy a new heater (Fluval M100?) since I didn’t trust my 15 year old unused ones in my “fish storage box”… especially with my kid’s first betta on the line lol. Bought an inexpensive (relatively) light online. Tossed in a spare sponge filter with some bacteria in a bottle and good to go!

C4F037E6-F08B-439D-A59A-787ED793A7E0.jpeg

Some more glamour shots.

8A6CDC70-AAE2-40BA-9BE0-60876234D55A.jpeg
E1CC6E97-9A59-4C8F-82C0-209ABEC00549.jpeg
B1BA3C5C-5FC1-440C-9831-7CFA23355BB7.jpeg

We also got a bag of the Petco sand. Holy cow! I’ve had coarse sand before but this was my first time dealing with fine sand. Even with washing, that stuff was floating and stuck to bubbles for days! I would have gotten something different but getting the betta was unexpected and of course at the end of the day.

Tomorrow we should have some leaves to toss into the tank. My kid is really excited for the leaves (which somehow seems normal for a kid…). Anything to “make a better mansion for Ketchup” he says.

14659D0B-10D3-4ACD-A71A-85C1209693B7.jpeg

We’re also considering tossing in some MTS to help keep things clean. I haven’t had snails other than nerites in over a decade. I used to love pond/bladder snails until one jammed up the impeller in my HOB. I feel like I’m doing something naughty by adding MTS lol.

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a betta. I forgot how much personality they have.

Bsplendid

Kids are amazing and so are you. You should be proud of him

Motherlovebetta

Our Betta died back in September and I keep telling myself not again, but I love their little personalities! First time my kid asks I’ll be cycling a tank! Good kid you have there!

FinFin

I bet he loves this tank and ketchup. My son would have picked they decorations too, volcanos are his fascination right now and the pizza eating shark is very cool. What a lucky little fish having such a caring lad to look after and love him. I always feel sorry for they fish stuck in tiny spaces for god knows how long, you must be very proud.

peachsonas

So heartwarming to see a young one so enthusiastic about fishies! Wishing the little one and Ketchup well on their journey!

lojack

Kids are amazing and so are you. You should be proud of him
Thanks for the kind words. We’re very proud of our kids!
Our Betta died back in September and I keep telling myself not again, but I love their little personalities! First time my kid asks I’ll be cycling a tank! Good kid you have there!
I’m sorry to hear that. My wife and I had two many years ago and thought they were so cool. I was so excited when one of my kids showed interest in the hobby haha.
I bet he loves this tank and ketchup. My son would have picked they decorations too, volcanos are his fascination right now and the pizza eating shark is very cool. What a lucky little fish having such a caring lad to look after and love him. I always feel sorry for they fish stuck in tiny spaces for god knows how long, you must be very proud.
I’ll be honest, the volcano is rad. Haha. We have a new small usb pump arriving in the mail today. So he’ll get to hook up some bubbles for the volcano. It even has an LED light inside that slowly changes color! And, very proud!

FinFin

I’ll be honest, the volcano is rad. Haha. We have a new small usb pump arriving in the mail today. So he’ll get to hook up some bubbles for the volcano. It even has an LED light inside that slowly changes color! And, very proud!
That will be so cool your boy will love it please post pictures.

I have the LED air stone the changing colour effect will look so much cooler coming out a volcano though. Ours comes out a sunken Mini Cooper in our fry tank.

20211028_195002.jpg

Your tank setup is making me want to take my son to the lfs and rescue a beta for him. He's 7 years old and I think is old enough to look after a fish also, he has a love for fish and regularly helps to feed and gives a hand maintaining our two tanks.

lojack

The volcano with bubbles is even cooler than expected. I’m pretty sure my kid was up later than he should have been just watching the lights changing color, haha.
B7C38CF2-42A5-4396-99FE-1E052D06A63A.jpeg

Fisch

That will be so cool your boy will love it please post pictures.

I have the LED air stone the changing colour effect will look so much cooler coming out a volcano though. Ours comes out a sunken Mini Cooper in our fry tank.

20211028_195002.jpg

Where did you get a sunken Mini Cooper....I need one of those :)

Motherlovebetta

The volcano with bubbles is even cooler than expected. I’m pretty sure my kid was up later than he should have been just watching the lights changing color, haha.
B7C38CF2-42A5-4396-99FE-1E052D06A63A.jpeg
This is not helping me want another betta any less……

bettasXD

Ketchup is soooo pretty!

Leeman75

This is that awesome place where being a parent and sharing our passions with our kids and them learning and trying new things hits the sweet spot!! Congrats on the new tank for your son! I also think the volcano is super-cool!!

On a side note, I've kind of developed a fondness for "rescuing" Bettas from local chain stores just like you have. It's so amazing to see the transformation that takes place when someone starts properly caring for the fish. It's really like you don't know what you've got until you do that. Ketchup is an outstanding example of that!! :)

Happy fishing!!

lojack

Over the weekend a friend generously “donated” some MTS. It felt like playing with fire throwing them into my kid’s tank lol.

2F5C8932-52E9-46E3-BDD0-2C550E7A09D8.jpeg

I chose them because I figured they’d be able to survive a betta pestering them.

Ketchup cracks me up because each morning since getting them, he goes and picks them all off the glass. Yesterday and today, the snails have learned to hide before lights on lol.

We also tried feeding him some live baby brine shrimp. He ate a few but mostly ignored them. Not sure if he didn’t want to bother with such a tiny meal or if he was ignoring it because he assumed it was more floating sand. We’re going to try again next week since the sand has mostly settled.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
29 Gallon Tank Erik’s Tank Journal
Replies
Views
BadhbhCatha
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
Replies