kenyi spawning

ppate1977

I believe my male and female kenyI have spawned. I know they are mouth brooders and have done a fair amount of research. Can anyone with experience give me advice as what to do next? I have researched, as I said, but I like first hand advice. Thanks all.

RogueAgent94

The female will hold the eggs and fry until they are ready to live on their own. Then she'll release them. Some of the fry will become food but they are great at hiding so you probably won't see them for a long time, until they're big enough to survive out in the open. You could strip the female when she's almost ready to drop her fry or you could put her in a different tank to release them.

Nutter

Good advice above from Jonathan. Given that you have large aggressive predators in the tank (assuming your Aquarium Info is correct) I would be inclined to get the holding female out & into a separate tank as soon as possible or she will be harassed very badly, maybe even killed. JD's & Jewels will go after the potential food source, whether the JD is temp or not & the male KenyI will probably harass the female wanting to breed again before she has finished her holding period.

PS: Hope the Jewels are headed for a different tank, given that they are African riverine cihlids that appreciate a planted tank rather than the rocky environment & that their diet & behaviour is significantly different to Mbuna's. Pretty sure your aware of that kind of thing but thought I'd mention it anyway.

ppate1977

Thank you Rogue and Nutter. Pretty much what I expected but wanted to get some first person advice. Indeed I do know about the jewels, they are getting their own 30 gal tank next week. I am trying to rehome the JD.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom