Keeping Wild Bettas With Betta Splendens In Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Janice C, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Janice CNew MemberMember

Has anyone tried keeping wild bettas with our domesticated ones? I have a 55 gallon and I'm wondering whether it's possible to do that, and if so with which types of wilds?

2. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I have not done so nor have I heard others trying this, but I do not believe this to be a good idea. The splendens are territorial and would likely see any other Betta as invading its territory. Similar as to why you don’t want to keep Gourami and Betta together. There’s also the issue that Bettas can cross so if you were to get two males they would see each other as competition or a male and female and they would likely improperly breed/kill one another. Two females would be unlikely to be better. Wild species also have different care requirements, typically that of being the only species.

Perhaps a few other species might work together, but I would not try this with splendens.

3. AbraCadaverValued MemberMember

i currently have a 60 gallon with 7 females and 3 males that work excellent. Mine are all domestic, I’ve never owned wild...
    but I can say that most people advise not to house males together and I’ve managed to do it successfully so far... so I’d say, have a backup plan... decide which you’d want to inhabit your main tank and try introducing the other into the tank one by one being sure to watch them closely for a few hours. I find that it’s most successful adding ANY Betta to a tank of Betta if you be sure that they’re either kept in store close enough to other fish that they can see one another, or introduce them yourself first by a divider or something