Keeping Water Clear

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fish time, Apr 21, 2018.

1. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Hey there everyone so i am very very fustrated because my dad keeps threatening he will take my tank away because the water is not clear, so what are simple procedures to keep water pristine and clear my fish are healthy and not scratching at all but he keeps getting mad at me repeatedly which makes me stress very very very much .....he just wabts my water clear though my fish are all fine and this is what he does he wants to take my filter catride and rinse it in the sink but i tell him you are supposed to do it in tank water in a container but he says thats not how you do it, mabey he says this because hes had saltwater in the past
    IMG_20180415_101226.jpg
    This is a pic of my tank

IMG_20180417_194155.jpg
    Inside my bio peguin filter

2. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Okay so from what it sounds like your main problem is the cloudiness, now depending on how long you've had your tank up and how far through its nitrogen cycle it is, this could simply be something that they call a beneficial bacteria bloom which is in fact a good thing. Please please please if you are going to clean out the filter that you have running on your tank at the moment , please do not wash it with sink water ,please only wash it with tank water during a water change. The reason this is so important is because tap water kills off all the beneficial bacteria which will start your entire cycle over again . if you don't know about the cycle there's many many many people on here that can help you with that there's also a forum it's freshwater for beginners there's a lot of information on cycling your aquarium in those forums please do not , by any means clean your filter media AKA filter cartridge in tap water.If it is an absolute must to clean it, clean it and only tank water take a cup of water out of your running tank and wash out the cartridge in that water and then simply put it back in your filter. another thing that may help you drastically, it's called activated carbon now generally the cartridges that you get with the filter has some of it in it, but that is only good for a month what I would suggest you do is to go buy some activated carbon pellets put them in a mesh bag washed thoroughly before placing into your tank ,once you do place them into your tank it will help clear out any fogginess any any discrepancies in your water and turn it to Crystal Clear beautiful water but keep in mind this is only something that works for a month so if it's something that you like doing you must change it once a month if you have any other questions I'd be gladly here to help

You could also purchase a polishing pad which is to make your water pristine those work very well. I'm sure you're going to get some more answers from more educated people than myself and by the end of this day you're going to be so well knowledgeable you'll be helping people tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  3. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Will he take the time to read if you were to google “proper way to clean aquarium filter.”

And explain that the chlorine in tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria contained in the filter.

Are you on well water by any chance? If so, your tap should be good.

To clear up your water, water changes are the best way. Is that driftwood or rock the plant is tied to?

It looks like you have tannins in your tank, from the driftwood? That’s normal and does not harm fish.

I would consider getting a background. A cheap way is to just buy poster board from Walmart for a couple $ a sheet and tape it in place. I recommend black.

4. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

:)

5. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Yes im on well water

6. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

That's exactly what I did with the poster bored, got black and it brings out all the color I'm my aquarium

7. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Yes the driftwood came with the plant on it

Oh yes i told him but but he says the benifical bacteria is in the sand, and in the water but he still understands

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  8. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

So you may be good with washing in tap if you don’t have some type of water softener system. At my house I am on well and don’t add a declorinator but still wash filters in tank water during water changes.

At my work rental i’m on a water system that adds chlorine like all cities do so the advice given above was for that situation.

Your driftwood will continue to leech tannins for a long time. I boiled mine for 6 hours and have very little tannins but still a little bit.

Google “where does beneficial bacteria live in an aquarium.”

It’s in the filter. Some in gravel, very little in sand.

9. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Is he willing to read this thread?

10. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

11. RobjocoValued MemberMember

It doesn’t look like a dirty tank to me.... I’m mostly seeing normal tannins from the driftwood.

12. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Great. There are lots of folks that don't know that most of the bacteria does live on the filter media. Some of it does colonize on all the hard surfaces in the tank but the majority is in the filter.

It isn't normally floating around in the water either so water changes aren't going to remove the bacteria.

Since you are using well water it most likely doesn't have chlorine added to it so rinsing the filter media under running tap water shouldn't cause the problem of killing the good bacteria. Personally I would still wash mine out in used tank water anyway just to be on the safe side.

You could point out to your dad that the discoloration is most likely coming from the drift wood and water changes will eventually remove it. As some have already suggested, a back ground should also keep the less than clear water from looking bad. It doesn't look bad to me but I am not seeing what your dad is though.

13. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Well when i turn off the light he says your water looks brown and i dont like him saying that

14. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

I agree the color looks like tannins, not harmful at all. I have a background on my tank that I bought from the pet store, which I think looks nice, may make the tint of the water not noticeable.

15. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

It does look brown but some folks actually really like it :D Just let him know that is isn't going to affect the health of the tank, well I guess in some cases it does help so does affect it but not in a detrimental way.

If you or he doesn't like the brown water it will just take time for the tannin's to finally stop leaching out of the driftwood. You could remove it, take the plants off of it and boil it. Just keep pouring the brown water off and add more. Keep doing it until the brown no longer come off of it. Depending on the type of wood it could take quite a while to get it all out.

16. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

I’m still confused by the fact that he says clean it in tap water, because even saltwater tanks need to be cycled. Maybe he’s just mad because the tank doesn’t look the way he wants it to? If it’s your last resort then remind him that you can’t rush perfection.

17. Puck44Valued MemberMember

I would get a nice background. good luck !

18. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

You could try "purigen", it will absorb all that brown color that's probably coming from the driftwood. Just make sure you have room for it in your filter box. Water need to be pushed through it.

19. fish timeWell Known MemberMember

Does it hurt fish with no scales or shrimp?

20. Jyl080208Valued MemberMember

The purigen?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice