Keeping track of my readings...feedback welcome :)

1. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

So….I’m trying to get my tank to cycle. I really didn’t know very much about it until I came on here to find help for treating camallanus worms. I set up my tank on 12/13/09. I originally had 2 angelfish, 4 guppies and a pleco in my tank after some very bad guidance from a Petsmart employee :;dk Not surprisingly, after 4 weeks on the dot, one of my angels, one guppy and the pleco all died on the same day.

Anyway, about two weeks after that, my remaining angel started showing camallanus worms. My three surviving guppies did not have visible worms but since all the fish had been together for about 6 weeks at this point, I figured I should treat all of them. I ended up buying Levamisole HCl from Charles Harrison and treated my 10 gallon tank three weeks ago. I now have three guppies and a small angelfish in there (I'm now aware that angels need more than a 10g tank but I didn't want to try to give him up when he was infected...and now I just love him so much...). Anyway, after I removed the medication from the first treatment, I started doing daily 50% water changes. I started writing my readings down on 03/01/10 so I’ll start from there.

Monday 03/01/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    ammonia= 0.5
    nitrite= 0
    nitrate= 5

I didn’t do a WC on Tuesday 03/02/10.

Wednesday 03/03/2010:
    pH=8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0
    Nitrate= 5

Thursday 03/04/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Friday 03/05/2010:
    pH=8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Saturday 03/06/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Sunday 03/07/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Monday 03/08/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrites= 0.25
    Nitrates= 5

Tuesday 03/09/2010:
    pH=8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrites= 0.25
    Nitrates= 5

I forgot to record my Wednesday 03/10/10 readings (got home late from a birthday dinner) but I still did a 50% water change as I did on all the other days. I doubt they were any different.

Thursday 03/11/2010:
    pH=8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrites= 0.25
    Nitrates= 5

Friday 03/12/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.25
    Nitrites= 0
    Nitrates= 5

Saturday 03/13/2010:
    pH=8.0
    Ammonia= 0.25
    Nitrites= 0
    Nitrates= 5

Sunday 03/14/2010: (I did about a 90% water change today…I had to do the 2nd treatment of Levamisole HCl)
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.25
    Nitrites= 0
    Nitrates= 5

Monday 03/15/2010: The medication had to sit today…no water change.

Tuesday 03/16/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.25
    Nitrites= 0
    Nitrates= 5
    After I tested the water, I did another 90% water change to get rid of the medication.

I will be trying 25% daily WCs this week to see how things change. I feed my fish every other day...two of my guppies would probably just eat until they explode. Floyd (my angel) and Squeegee, the other guppy seem to be able to stop when they're full, LOL. I give them a little bit of each of flakes, pellets, and freeze dried brine shrimp, in the morning, afternoon and evening respectively. My water temp is between 82 and 84, depending on the time of day usually. I use a small gravel vacuum and a bucket to perform my water changes.

If anybody has any feedback or suggestions for me, I would gladly welcome it. I don't really have any questions but I know there are some experts on here that might be able to point out if I'm doing something wrong. By the way, I use Prime as my water conditioner. Anyhoo...I will keep posting my readings daily as I continue to finish this cycle :;hi2

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks for posting the readings. Looks like you're doing all you can do for the time being. After the meds are finished I think the cycle will move a little smoother. Keep us posted.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    m

I did a 25% water change today. My readings were:

Wednesday 03/17/2010:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5ppm
    Nitrites= 0ppm
    Nitrates= 5ppm

Rainbow, one of my guppies has a huge tear in his tail :( He was starting to look a little better as the day went on but right after I did the water change, I noticed that his tail is torn right down the middle! A similar thing happened after the first treatment but the tear wasn't so severe. I added some Maracyn-Oxy that seemed to help last time and will keep an eye on him for the next few days...

4. OP
    OP
    m

Thursday 03/18/2010:

25% water change today.

pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5ppm
    Nitrites= 0ppm
    Nitrates= 5ppm

Rainbow is still not 100%. He's not looking worse though. His tail looks like it's starting to heal. I'm just gonna keep watching him.

5. OP
    OP
    m

Friday 03/19/2010:

pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5ppm
    Nitrites= 0.25ppm
    Nitrates= 5ppm

25% Water change.

I think I need to get Rainbow a hospital tank. He's looking really pale and, although he's eating a little bit, he still has that white stringy poo most of the time. Sometimes it's normal but most of the time it's just white and stringy. Sherbert seems to be bullying him. I don't know if he's just trying to bite off the stringy poo or nips his fins but he's really stressing Rainbow out. I'm going to Petsmart today to buy a hospital tank.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Saturday 03/20/2010:

pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5ppm
    Nitrites= 0.25ppm
    Nitrates= 5ppm

I did about a 30% water change today. I needed a little extra for the hospital tank I set up. I took about 15% and just scooped it out with a pitcher so I could put it in my hospital tank without a bunch of poo bits in it. The hospital tank is 2.5 gallons. Then I used the gravel vac to change another 10-15% in the main tank. Then I topped both tanks off with water treated with Prime. I also added some Stress Coat and 1 tsp. of aquarium salt to the hospital tank because he's still expelling lots of stringy white poo.

I have never set up a hospital tank before so I wasn't exactly sure what to do. I tried to use as much stuff as I could from the main tank. I took out several handfuls of gravel from the main tank, just enough to cover the bottom. I also used a plant from the main tank along with two little ones I bought for extra hiding spaces. I put a decorative tower kinda thing in there for him to hide in but it is new. I also cut open the hospital tank's filter cartridge, emptied out the carbon and stuffed in some mesh from the filter from my main tank. I didn't want to take too many things out of the main tank so as not to disrupt the amount of beneficial bacteria but hopefully I was able to give the hospital tank enough things with the bacteria.

Now it's just time to wait and see. I just felt so bad for poor Rainbow. Sherbert has turned into quite the little jerk and just would not leave him alone. I could tell Rainbow just wanted to get away from him. I'll keep up with my daily testing and water changes as needed and see how he does through the rest of the weekend.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Sunday 03/21/2010

(Main Tank - 10 gallon)
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrites= 0.25
    Nitrates= 5

(Hospital Tank - 2.5 gallon)
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.25
    Nitrites= 0
    Nitrates= 5

I did a 25% water change for each tank.

Rainbow is still the same. He's obviously not being bothered by the other fish now but he's not any more active and he's not really eating. He does swim around sometimes and he will eat a few of the tiniest pieces of food that I put in but nothing like he used to eat before. Could it be that he was eating so much before because he had camallanus worms and they were eating his food? I don't know...he's still kinda pale but not any more so than he was yesterday and his fin is still torn but it has definitely healed some, it's not torn all the way down to the base anymore.

I guess we'll just see what happens...

8. OP
    OP
    m

I'm at work right now...I just got a text message from my boyfriend. Rainbow died last night :( I'm so sad :'(

9. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry:(

10. OP
    OP
    m

Poor Rainbow :( He was such a great fish. I wish I could have done more to help him.

11. OP
    OP
    m

I miss little Rainbow :( I woke up this morning and did my normal head count and was so sad when I remembered he wasn't in there anymore...

Yesterday, Monday 03/22/2010, my readings were:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.50
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Another 25% water change.

Today, Tuesday 03/23/2010, my readings were the same:
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

Another 25% water change....when will it ever end??

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mcurtissdsu :;hi1

So sorry to hear that you lost your Rainbow. :( RIP little one!

Mc have you thought about having your own blog here on Fish Lore? If you would be interested in having one then you can send a private message (since you have over 50 posts now) to MIKE and request that he set one up for you. He'll be glad to do it :)

I found having one to come in very handy at times. Moving tanks, getting new tanks, keeping records as you're currently doing. Something to think about :) This thread can be moved to it or any of your own threads can be moved also.
    Ken

13. OP
    OP
    m

Actually I was looking for a blog option on my profile and didn't see one so I didn't think one was available. I never noticed that they are set up like a forum :) I will definitely email Mike and see if he can set one up for me. Thanks for the advice!

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help! :) It might take a day or two for Mike to respond and set it up but I'm sure he will :)
    Ken

15. OP
    OP
    m

I'll keep using this until my blog is created.

Wednesday 03/24/2010
    pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrite= 0.25
    Nitrate= 5

25% water change again.

I've also been looking into making arrangements for buying a 29 gallon tank for Floyd, hopefully within a month...once I get my living situation figured out. Living in San Diego is NOT easy as a recent college grad :(

16. OP
    OP
    m

Thursday 03/25/2010

pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 1.0
    Nitrite= 0.5
    Nitrate= 5

25% water change

17. OP
    OP
    m

Friday 03/26/2010

pH= 8.0
    Ammonia= 1.0
    Nitrite= 0.5
    Nitrate= 5

25% Water Change

I have a question about my filter. I use an Aqueon Power Filter and it takes replacement cartridges. Yesterday, according to the directions, I was supposed to change out my cartridge. My question is, if I throw out the filter cartridge, doesn't that throw out my good bacteria? Instead of throwing the old one out, I rinsed the debris off it in my bucket o' tank water after the water change. Then, I cut off the mesh part from my old cartridge and stuck it into the filter in some open spaces. It doesn't seem to be obstructing any water flow or the function of the filter. Is it ok to leave those pieces in there? I don't want to start my cycle all over again but that cartridge had been in there for a while and was starting to look pretty funky.

18. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Imo, you did right, keeping the mesh part and rinsing it in tank water. You don't want to toss the bacteria.

Did you have to restart the cycle after treating?

19. OP
    OP
    m

It seems like the cycle did restart but I've never cycled a tank before so I'm not sure. I've been doing daily water changes since March 1st. I started with 50% daily changes until (I think) the 14th which is when I did the 2nd treatment. After that, I did a 90% change to get rid of as much meds as I could and then I've been 25% daily changes since then. So it's been about 2 weeks. From looking at the readings before and after the treatment, it seems like the cycle started over because I'm only just now having increases in both the ammonia and nitrites. I haven't done my testing today. I'm going out to dinner and will do it this evening. Maybe something will have changed...

20. OP
    OP
    m

Saturday 03/27/2010

pH= 7.8
    Ammonia= 0.5
    Nitrites= 0.5
    Nitrates= 5
    Temp= 82

25% Water change.

I wonder if changing my filter cartridge helped things any...My pH went down by 0.2 and my ammonia went down by 0.5ppm. Apparently Floyd likes his pH around 6.8 so I'm still way off! But I stopped using "pH Down" because I saw a lot of posts about how it's better to just let the fish get acclimated to a different pH than to constantly change it to get it to a certain number. He seems fine.