Keeping Tank Cool?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishychachki, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

My 10gallon long tank is constantly in the 24-26C range. I live in a tropical country and it stays pretty hot and humid all year round (generally 23-30C air temp, as high as 35C at worst I think). It's rare to see hobbyists using any heaters here unless for demanding fish/fry that specifically require them.

The thing is, my tank houses RCS and CPD, the latter of which prefers cooler water (and my tank temp range is at the highest end of what seem to be acceptable for them). Any tips on what can be done? They seem to be doing great tbh but then some people say the higher temperature will accelerate their metabolism and significantly shorten their lifespan.

2. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

There's a couple of things you can do. If you have a glass canopy open it up to let some of the heat out, also place a small fan blowing on the surface of the water for evaporative cooling. Small plastic water bottles filled with water and frozen, place them in the tank to bring down the temperature.

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Max, the only other ways would be to buy a tank chiller which starts at about $500.00 U.S. or to build your own, there are a lot of videos on You Tube how to build one.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I deal with a different environment: -35 in winter and +35 in summer. I'm not going to endlessly freeze water bottles and constantly replace them for the hot months. I keep my tanks in an insulated room, with an air conditioner set at 25 in summer, and heat set at 20 in winter. The water seems to stay a little higher and lower, around 23, year round.
    It's an expense, for certain, but with moderation, it works. Fish that can't take the temperature range are fish I generally pass up on. You can work like a madman on temperature, but eventually, you have to be away somewhere. You need something that works when you are not there.

5. Steven Donnison

Steven Donnison New Member Member

We have reasonably hot summers here and we run our aircons 24/7. Turning them on and off makes it more expensive, but always on, they don't have to work much to keep the temperature. Thick curtains help also.

If you're handy, you can get a couple computer fans and a 12v power supply, then wire them up together and make a mount for them. All you would need to do is aim them diagonally at the surface of the water. You will get some evaporation, but you should be right with regular water changes.
    You can buy fans specifically designed for cooling tanks of various sizes, but they tend to be quite expensive.
    Frozen bottles is another excellent thing you can do. As is ice cubes made with tank water, but the bottles are safer.

The ultimate and best is a chiller, but they are the most expensive of the lot. A lot of shrimp breeders here tend to use chillers.

We're lucky as we have solar, which helps pay for some of our hobbies.

Pretty much what has already been suggested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice