Keeping substrate clean between weekly maintenance

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by sawchynegger, Jul 22, 2015.

1. sawchynegger

sawchynegger Valued Member Member

I was wondering if anyone has found an effective way to collect debri (mostly fish poop) from the substrate between weekly gravel/sand vacuums. I'm running a Aquaclear 110 HOB, Penguin 350 HOb, and Fluval 406 canister on my 180 gallon. I was thinking of adding 2 sponge filters with the hope that they will collect some of the poo:) Will this be helpful? it's mostly a new world cichlid tank but I have a growing CAE in there that makes a mess. I also want to add a royal pleco so that will just add fuel to the fire. The other thing I was considering was adding a circulation pump near the substrate hoping it will blast debri into the water column and be collected by the other filters. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

What you proposed is exactly what I would do. I would add a powerhead or two near the substrate to suspend all of the fish waste and leftover food in the water column until the filter picks it all up.

3. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Sweet. I'll prob do that. Do you think the sponge filters would help at all?

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

The sponge filters might help, but if some fish waste falls in it you'll still see it until it decomposes. Also from what I know sponge filters don't really add any water flow.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

The sponges are definitely unattractive and prob add very little bio filtration especially in a 180. I'm just hoping it helps collect the debri. I could tuck 1 behind some wood or something. Idk. I'll prob just start with the power head idea and go from there. Thanks all

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Sponge filters work excellent for bio filtration, not as well for mechanical. In your tank, and with the filtration you already have I don't see how they would benefit you that much. I'd try the power heads and see how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Thanks for the advice BD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice