Keeping Stem Plants Rooted

1. Fishma Initiate Member

Howdy folks :;hi1,

I am brand spanking new to this forum. Not new to the hobby but had to take many years away from the hobby due to university life and moving. Anyways I'm back in the hobby now with a 15 gal.

Right now I'm stocked with Red Tiger Lotus, Anubius Barteri, Rotala Indicia, Bacopa, Cabomba (Californian), Ludwigia Repens, Java moss, Italian Val, and Dwarf Sag. The tank has been running for 3ish months now (fish have been in for a little over a month, plants 2.5 months).

For whatever reason my Cabomba, Rotala, and Bacopa are notorious for uprooting. I am using Seachem Floruite gravel as substrate and all the other plants have rooted fine. I've even used old water bottle caps cut out as weights to keep the plants rooted but that worked for like a day. I have 5 Glowlight Tetra and a healthy colony of Red Cherry Shrimp, 1 Amano shrimp, 2 Nerite Snails, and a few hitchhiking MTS that have established themselves. My Glows are really active and are maybe the culprit for the up-rooting (also the burrowing MTS). Any suggestions for keeping these plants better rooted would be greatly appreciated. I can provide photos if needed when I arrive home.

On a side note, any suggestions for getting Dwarf Sag to carpet would be great. It hasn't really produced many runners since it has been in my tank. Tank details:
    - 15 Gal
    - Aqueon Quiet Flow 10
    - Flexion (80G/H) Filter
    - DIY C02 Infuser
    - 2 24 Watt (60 Watt equiv) (6500K - 8000 Lumens)
    - Fert *2/week Seachem Flourish
    - Seachem Flourite Substrate
    - 10% water change 2/Week (20% total/week)
    - pH 7.5 (gH and kh are relatively high as I have hard water where I live - I use Spaghum moss in the filter to soften it, will have exact numbers later today).

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Mabye attaching them to a small rock and burrowing it under the gravel will work.

3. Fishma Initiate Member

Hey Pikachu,

Thanks for the response. I've tried that too but got no luck :S. I'll keep trying things out. I am almost tempted to place a layer of sand over the gravel to help compact it but putting sand in an established tank is a HUGEEE pain.

4. corylover99 Member Member

For the stem plants try to put the roots at least 1 1/2 inches into the substrate and it should stay in. If it still uproots then, try adjusting water flow to minimize the amount of force pushing on the plants. As for the dwarf sag carpet, I found that high light and time will do the trick!
    Good luck with your tank man!

5. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

Hi I am new to planting and have been driven nuts with plants uprooting! I am using tiny zip ties to hold a bunch together and this seems to work. Easier to replant too with bunches instead of individual stems.

6. Sgbandorcollie Initiate Member

I used tiny plastic Dixie cups with most of the top cut off. I have a guppy who likes to rearrange all my stem plants no matter what. I actually am wondering where I can buy plant weights? I am back into the hobby after 20 years and so much has changed!

7. Genobreaker Well Known Member Member

One of my lfs sold me some flexible lead weights. Those worked pretty well.

8. Pikachu13131 Member Member

i've used the lead weights,but they break sometimes.