Keeping Stem Plants Planted

Cody

I recent purchased some Ludwigia from my LFS “Dark Red Ludwigia” I bought two bunches and placed them in opposite corners.

I placed them stems into the substrate (fine gravel) I’m have an issue getting some to stick or they are easily disturbed. Will these eventually root in or is there a trick to doing this?

StarGirl

You can get some plant weights or kallililly1973 came up with a thing with a pop bottle cap. Cut a star in the cap push the stem through and the cap open side up will hold sand or gravel to keep it down. You can bury it all the way so you can't see it.

mattgirl

Some of mine are attached to small rocks with tiny rubber bands. Others are inserted in the hole in ceramic media. In both cases I bury the rock or media in the substrate.

BTW: I tried the bottle cap but Elbert kept digging them up :D

Cody

I guess the fact that plant weights exist would explained my problem

StarGirl

Cody said:
I guess the fact that plant weights exist would explained my problem
My lfs has them right by all the ferts and root tab kind of stuff.

Cody

Do the stem plants eventually get rooted in the substrate or do they always need to be “motivated” to stay in place

JettsPapa

I've run into problems with that also. Sometimes it helps to pull a few more leaves off the bottom, and then stick it back in the substrate and place the bottom inch or so horizontal, instead of the whole thing vertical.

alx

StarGirl15 said:
You can get some plant weights or kallililly1973 came up with a thing with a pop bottle cap. Cut a star in the cap push the stem through and the cap open side up will hold sand or gravel to keep it down. You can bury it all the way so you can't see it.
I use that technique and it works like a charm.

StarGirl

Cody said:
Do the stem plants eventually get rooted in the substrate or do they always need to be “motivated” to stay in place
They will eventually root. They just need to stay put for awhile.

Seasoldier

StarGirl15 said:
I started using this method & it works brilliantly, excellent tip from kallililly1973.

StarGirl

alx said:
I use that technique and it works like a charm.
Haha your avatar is hilarious

kallililly1973

Seasoldier said:
I started using this method & it works brilliantly, excellent tip from kallililly1973.
I can;t take full credit for it cause I found the video on Youtube... But I'll still take a little credit for sharing this method :)

alx

Snailerator

Cody said:
I recent purchased some Ludwigia from my LFS “Dark Red Ludwigia” I bought two bunches and placed them in opposite corners.

I placed them stems into the substrate (fine gravel) I’m have an issue getting some to stick or they are easily disturbed. Will these eventually root in or is there a trick to doing this?
Typically if you plant it deeper it really helps. That may mean more substrate or just out it deeper. Also a pair of long tweezers help with planting a TON. I bought a cheap set on Amazon that works great.
1584644508082.jpg

Cody

Snailerator said:
Typically if you plant it deeper it really helps. That may mean more substrate or just out it deeper. Also a pair of long tweezers help with planting a TON. I bought a cheap set on Amazon that works great.
1584644508082.jpg
I do need to invest in them. Even with my jungle Val that are still establishing solid roots I have issues when cleaning of them coming out and it’s tough to get them the right depth without having them too deep(I’ve read to keep the white portion just above roots above substrate). But using your fingers isn’t too precise!

Lol the main issue is I started with just a couple plants to “try out” now
I almost bring home a new plant every week.

Top Bottom