Keeping Romaine Lettuce Fresh

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Chef gave me instructions on keeping Romaine Lettuce fresh.

When you buy the Romaine Lettuce you'll notice that the bottom of the stalk is more than likely brown. Slice the brown part off. Over time the nutrients from the leaves fall to the bottom of the stalk causing it to turn brown. Once you've sliced the bottom off ( just slice enough off to remove the brown only and the stalk should still hold together for the most part) find a container large enough to contain the stalks, add an inch or two of water to the bottom of the container and place the stalks in it and place it all in the refrigerator.

As you pull the Romaine out every day to feed the fish check the bottom of the stalk again. If it's brown, slice it off just like before. I think it really does add a day or two of shelf life to the lettuce.

Ken

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Excellent info. The brown is collapsed/blocked capillaries. Cutting the bottom of the lettuce off is much like cutting the bottom of a flower stalk or the base of a Christmas tree, letting the water get wicked up into the lettuce.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! I'll pass your thoughts to Chef.

Ken

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Although I never have to worry about my own lettuce going bad (salads are tasty, and almost as easy as opening a bag of chips ), I've worked at small restaurants that did, and we used pretty much the same thing.
I've also worked at a small restaurant that didn't use it, and it really makes a difference. The lettuce in the second restaurant went bad so much more quickly.
(sorry. Meant to put this in my first post ;D)

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chef is the bomb!!
when he moves in with me, and cooks daily for us, ill be sure to share his secrets tooo

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ROFL... If he moves up there I'm coming too Missy!
Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now you know my Sweet orange children would do your nawty kids some good! Teach them some manners. If you aren't nice I'll teach them all to splash you as you walk by the tank. ROFL.

Ken

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now you know my Sweet orange children would do your nawty kids some good! Teach them some manners. If you aren't nice I'll teach them all to splash you as you walk by the tank. ROFL.

Ken
they do now! LOL
and with maybe some additions, I think they all will go live with uncle ken in the "dog house"! ;D

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL...I wish I had room for some more Shawnie...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom