Keeping Romaine Lettuce Fresh

Discussion in 'aquarist' started by Aquarist, Apr 21, 2010.

1. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Chef gave me instructions on keeping Romaine Lettuce fresh.

When you buy the Romaine Lettuce you'll notice that the bottom of the stalk is more than likely brown. Slice the brown part off. Over time the nutrients from the leaves fall to the bottom of the stalk causing it to turn brown. Once you've sliced the bottom off ( just slice enough off to remove the brown only and the stalk should still hold together for the most part) find a container large enough to contain the stalks, add an inch or two of water to the bottom of the container and place the stalks in it and place it all in the refrigerator.

As you pull the Romaine out every day to feed the fish check the bottom of the stalk again. If it's brown, slice it off just like before. I think it really does add a day or two of shelf life to the lettuce. :)

Ken

2. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Excellent info. The brown is collapsed/blocked capillaries. Cutting the bottom of the lettuce off is much like cutting the bottom of a flower stalk or the base of a Christmas tree, letting the water get wicked up into the lettuce.

3. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Chef!!

4. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Thanks! I'll pass your thoughts to Chef. :)

Ken

5. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Although I never have to worry about my own lettuce going bad (salads are tasty, and almost as easy as opening a bag of chips ;)), I've worked at small restaurants that did, and we used pretty much the same thing.
    I've also worked at a small restaurant that didn't use it, and it really makes a difference. The lettuce in the second restaurant went bad so much more quickly.
    (sorry. Meant to put this in my first post ;D)

6. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Thanks for the info! :)

7. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

chef is the bomb!!
    when he moves in with me, and cooks daily for us, ill be sure to share his secrets tooo :)

8. Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Great idea.. Tell Chef Thanks.:happy0034:

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

ROFL... If he moves up there I'm coming too Missy! :happy0034:
    Ken:angelnot:

10. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

great !!! just leave your nawty kids at the airport ;D

11. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Now you know my Sweet orange children would do your nawty kids some good! Teach them some manners. If you aren't nice I'll teach them all to splash you as you walk by the tank. ROFL.

Ken

12. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

:anim_35: they do now! LOL
    and with maybe some additions, I think they all will go live with uncle ken in the "dog house"! ;D

13. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

LOL...I wish I had room for some more Shawnie...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice