Keeping platies solo?

Mii

Last time I checked, platies were not a schooling fish, but they were still social and needed at least 1 or 2 to keep them company. But some people are saying that you can keep a platy by him/her self? Is this true? Does it apply to other livebearers?

jkkgron2

IMO they can be kept solo, but you’ll see a difference in behavior vs. if they were in a group. I had to separate my two because of some bloating one had (just didn’t want her having babys in case she would get hurt) and they both became less social and my male would often hang out at the back of the tank. He seemed depressed for a while. Now he’s acting better but still not near as social as he used to be.

Mii

jkkgron2 said:
IMO they can be kept solo, but you’ll see a difference in behavior vs. if they were in a group. I had to separate my two because of some bloating one had (just didn’t want her having babys in case she would get hurt) and they both became less social and my male would often hang out at the back of the tank. He seemed depressed for a while. Now he’s acting better but still not near as social as he used to be.
So you think it's ok to get a single platy for my community tank? I would get more, but livebearers eat algae and I don't want it to steal all my otos's food source.

jkkgron2

Mii said:
So you think it's ok to get a single platy for my community tank? I would get more, but livebearers eat algae and I don't want it to steal all my otos's food source.
Yes, although it won’t be as happy as it would be if it were in a group.

Mii

jkkgron2 said:
Yes, although it won’t be as happy as it would be if it were in a group.
Maybe I should consider smaller livebearers, as a group of them may be ok. Although I do really like platies.

jkkgron2

Mii said:
Maybe I should consider smaller livebearers, as a group of them may be ok. Although I do really like platies.
What about a trio of endlers? They’re hardy and have fun personalities.

emeraldking

Keeping a platy solo shouldn´t be a problem. But overhere, it´s already mentioned, their behavior can be different when kept solo or as a group. But this goes for multiple species.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom