Keeping Plants In Pots

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

My 75 needs some sort of plant.

What kinds will grow large(ish) and not have too big of a root system?

I will be using pots. I also prefer plants that don't need too much substrate.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most large plants tend to have big root systems... you can't really have one without the other.

However, my fav would be vals, particularly jungle val. The root system can be rather large (around 8 inch spread) but the leaves grow in excess of a meter.

Another fav is the tiger lotus. Can be trained to grow to a specific height, and also have a rather small root system in accordance to leaf size (leaves grow to the size of a small plate)

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm plant. NOT plural, hmmm...oh I dunno. Lotsa options with that size of tank...uh...Giant Hygro? Or...Aponogeton Boliv. gets really really big...HUGE...or...maybe a really big Crypto Spiralis? And is it the Tiger Lotus or the Dwarf Lily that can emit "poison" toxins within proximity other plants...? And rob other plants of nutrients? I forget! I think it's the Tiger Lotus. Heh, I was gonna suggest a HUGE A. Sword mother plant, but those are about as big of a vertical sized root system as you can get! lol...I love Vals too...

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd go with bolbitis heudelotii- African water fern. It needs no substrate. You could glue the rhizome around the base of a terracotta pot and it will grow to a huge size if you let it.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have 2 Tropica plants left in pots, Ambulia sessiflora, think spelt wrong and cryptocoryne parva, took anubias out of pot now connected to log. The slits in pots will allow for root growth to gravel. I myself don't like a great depth of gravel unless setting up a heavily planted tank. Better for keeping clean. Seem to be doing fine. Waiting on liquid plant feed in post at moment. Was a bit unsure about the crypt without substrate depth, but seems to be doing OK.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I grow jungle val in pots in my 100 gallon guppy tub. Just make sure the pots are large enough so that the root system isn’t stunted. If I plant it in smaller pots, it dies off eventually.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom