Keeping Pearl/Dwarf Gouramis singly in gallon?

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Catahoola, Jul 27, 2015.

1. C

Catahoola Valued Member Member

I'm looking into getting a Dwarf Gourami and a Pearl Gourami. I have a 30 gallon with 5 neon tetras and 5 guppies, and I was wondering if the Gouramis are happier kept alone or with a friend? From what I have found online most Gouramis don't always do well with their same species but it seems sortof like Dwarfs and Pearls might be the exception. Have people successfully kept the Pearls with smaller fish like guppies and tetras and in a 30 gallon? Do they need a mate? I don't think my tank could hold two Pearls but don't want to get it if it will be unhappy. What about dwarfs? I could probably get a couple of those. Do you need a male/female pair? Where I was going to get them only have male Pearl and Dwarfs I believe. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt do 2 dwarf gouramis in a 30 gallon, the tank is too small and the likelihood of them fighting is pretty high and risky.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Catahoola Valued Member Member

Ok thanks! I wasn't sure if they were best in a group or not. I'm not sure if a 30 gallon is big enough for a Pearl gourami. Seems like there are differing opinions on how big they get and how big of a tank they need....

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

From my past experience with pearls, I've heard 5" (although 4.8" is close enough that it's not really contradicting that) and they can be housed solo in a 29. I'll leave that up to interpretation since everyone has differing views on this, but IMO it's fine. Are their better options? Yes.

EDIT:
    I also want to add that the reason you shouldn't have two DG is because most pet stores only stock males. If you can find a male and female, or two females, you could keep two DGs in there.
    Again, this is just my opinion. You'll find a lot of people will say different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice