keeping oscars with other cichlids?

1. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

how do oscars do with other cichlids, any one have experience housing them other if so what kinds, any dos and donts when doing so

2. VenomGrass Member Member

Hi; I don't know exactly how they do. But I have found a website that has piles of information on oscars and tank mates.

'Click Here'

3. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I have my Oscars with Cons, Firemouths, a BR Parrot & a pleco

5. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

what is con fish?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

awesome thanks

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your oscars will grow quickly, and will outgrow your 55 gallon. IMO a 75 gallon is a minimum tank size for one adult oscar. I wouldn't recommend any tank mates.

9. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

i am asking a question about oscars, not my oscars, oscars in general, so take it easy on the what i need to do

i dont know why every one assumes the tank you have now is the tank you will have forever, i am very capible and going out and getting a 300 gallon tank if i have to when the time is right .

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Chill with the attitude perhaps? I'm trying to help, as everyone else is. ;)

If you're capable of upgrading your tank at any time as you say, I'd suggest sooner rather than later, as your oscars' growth will be stunted in a tank that is too small.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

There's no need to be rude. harpua2002 was trying to be helpful. :happy0034:

12. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

thank you for the info

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oscars do well with almost all kinds of CA or SA or NW cichlids...

as far as upgrading in the future, I said the same thing with my oscars...id upgrade...something usually comes up in our lives..whether it be the economy, loosing a job, having a baby, space issues, etc....it doesnt always happen even if we have the good intentions to do so....I had to rehome mine after 8 years and they were an established breeding pair...it was almost as hard as giving up a child ....but it was the right decision and what was best for the fish....

an oscar grows his most potential in the first few years..then they slow down after that....their bioload should be times 3 of their size as they are HUGE waste producers as well as sloppy eaters....

amazing fish if they can be properly taken care of