keeping neons alive in different ph's

1. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

Thats strange, I have tried to keep neons and can't keep them for the life of me, I currently just got 7(about a week ago) in my QT(ph around 8) and they slowly die with in 2 weeks, it will be interesting to see if my lower PH keeps them alive or not!

2. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I've had mine since September and have only lost 1. I noticed one day that he looked really skinny so I put him in a separate 5g tank by himself but he died the next day.

3. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

sorry I don't mean to steal the thread by any means, but thats funny because all my neons are swimming fine, eating ect. (I have witnessed this myself) and I can go to bed and in the morning one is dead(8 hours later) take him out, do a PWC and wait a few days and it happens again(i think im just getting crappy stock from petsmart or petco, I would get them at LFS but they are 4bucks a fish, when I can get 5 for 5bucks at petsmart or petco! and they have a guarntee haha)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you are still cycling, that would play a huge effect on them..especially if they were there in the tank while you cycle...it can effect them up to a few weeks later..

EDIT: SORRY for the hijack whiskers of the other thread..located here https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/58921-looking-advise-my-ph-8-2-a.html

but ive moved the posts about neons and ph to its own cableguy .

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Neons cannot be put into a cycling tank, they don't handle it well. So if you have an uncycled Q tank, I can see how they die in it.

I would suggest acclimating them using the drip method for one hour or even a bit longer. Pack extra filter media into your main tank if it is cycled. Then when you set up your Q tank, just take the media and shift it over to the Q tank's filter. Another option is to always have your Q running with fish in it so you don't lose the cycle, or put the Q's filter on your main tank, run it there and shift it to the Q whenever it is in use.

Another thing is to find out when the fish came into the store - you don't want to buy them right when they came in, because they are already in shock from acclimating to the store's tank.

I would shop around for neons - my Petsmart sells them for a dollar each, which is close to most of the LFS's, but I found 1 LFS where they are 50 cents apiece.

6. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Even if your tank is cycled, your info says it is only 3 months old. Neons do best in a tank that is at least 6 months old so it can be well established.

7. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

My tank cycled in about a month, however I was getting false ammonia readings for 2(I am POSITIVE they were false, I had it professionally tested and they got nothing, the same day i got .5ppm) My tank has been up for about 3 month, my QT tank is cycled(i have an extra filter sitting in my main tank that I use in the QT, then chuck it) I will let my tank go for a few more months and try neons again I guess. Thanks for the advice and for moving the thread :D

I have checked all LFS with in a 25 mile range and the cheapest I have found at a LFS is 2.50 per fish

I have used the drip method, and let them sit for over a good 3 hours(the temp isn't the same, but at this point there is enough water in the bucket that I can place my small heater and slowly raise the temp up over an 1/2 hour. then I transfer the fish(i also place a airstone in my bucket since they are in there for a while.

8. ray_sj Member Member

Have you tested the pH of the incoming water to see if it is vastly different from the pH of your QT? If the pH is off by more than 0.5 points, you may have to adjust the pH of your QT to match, and then slowly change the pH over the course of 1-2 weeks with small water changes.

What's your water change schedule on the tank? I found that my neons get sick when I slack on the water changes. I like to do at least 30% water changes every week.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything properly... Mine live in water with a pH of 8.2, so that shouldn't be causing the rapid die off you are seeing.

9. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

I have tested the water(and verified with the store) they keep their neons in 8-8.2 PH. I change about 25-30% every week with RO/Tap water mixture now(before just used Tap water, every week though) So far, the 4 neons remaining are still alive in my QT tank(3 died, the last 4 are doing fine, awesome color and everything, however i got the PH at 8 and my main tank is at 7.6 so i will fix that over time!) I hope they make it, they are so colorful and what not

10. ray_sj Member Member

Might just be a bad batch, then.. Good luck with the remaining ones! :)

11. Alasse Well Known Member Member

I setup a tank and stocked it from day 1 (i cycle with fish) PH is around 8.

I started with 10 neons, and i still have all 10, no inclination from them that they didnt handle a cycling tank, always active, bright colouring, eating well.

Personally i would put it down to you got a bad batch from your lfs, it happens unfortunately

12. Fano'fish Initiate Member

How's your temperature? This may be oversimplified, but my heater was dying a slow death. Temp range still acceptable but on cooler end. I added 6 neons to my three existing and all six died within 2 days. Got a new heater, got six more neons and all are well.