Keeping Moved Sponge Filter Seeded?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishychachki, Apr 15, 2017.

1. fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

I just moved a seeded sponge filter from my cycled 10g (it still has an established HOB and another sponge filter) to my newly bought moderately planted 5.5g meant for a single male betta and maybe a couple of horned nerites. The thing is, I will only be able to get my betta tomorrow evening so the tank for now will remain empty for at least the next 24-36 hours.

Should I add some fish food to provide a little waste for the bb? I am kind of worried they may die from the lack of ammonia to process.

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

If it was me, I would.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

For such a short period of time I think it is fine without, I tried to find a source but I cant find any fact, just opinion that seems to agree with my assumption that it will take longer than 24 hours for the food to break down into ammonia anyways. If you are concerned, a tiny bit of food will certainly not hurt however!

I believe BB can hibernate when food runs scarce, its things like lack of O2, or drying out that will actually kill them.

4. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

The bacteria do fine without any food. Some will die and turn into food for the rest, no worries.
    Where would bacteria be if evolution would screw them over that hard?

5. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

agreed it'll do fine for that amount of time, plus the filter will have debris stuck in it from the 10g tank that will break down. unless you did a super good rinse with old aquarium water.

6. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I think that short amount of time will be fine, if you want you can feed a little bit of food though.

7. OP
    OP
    fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

Thanks a lot for the replies! Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and I won't be able to get my betta until Wednesday which is like another 72 hours away lol. Still safe to say my sponge filter will stay sufficiently populated with bb until then?

8. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would go ahead and put in some fish food then.

9. r

radar Valued Member Member

Can't you just leave the filter in your existing tank and switch it when you get your Betts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice