Keeping Many Little Fish In Big Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by cm11599ps, Mar 25, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I'm sure many people, myself included, have kept fish that are too large for their aquarium.

Is there anyone that kind of does the opposite? Does anyone have a really big tank and only fill it with little fish?

2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

I haven't done it yet. Just need to get rid of my current 46g and find a more permanent dwelling. I did have a post for 100gal (maybe larger now) and only putting fish that get upto 2-2.5" max. Doing that plus planted, I think would look awesome.

3. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Yeap I used to have a long time a go neons, danios, guppies and others in a 75 gal. Lots of schools of fish. I have some now but on a 55 with my Angels.

4. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

yea it seems more like a natural setting... I like stocking that way

5. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

I used to have a 125 Gallon with about 20 Danios and 40 Platies. (Of course the Platies kept multiplying themselves.)

EDIT: And it still didn't look near full. So much swimming room.

6. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I'm thinking that may be the way to go if and when I get a larger tank, 300 gallons or more. From all the videos I've seen of big tanks they all have large fish. I'm sure that's impressive but I also think having a 300+ filled with a bunch of neons, mollies, and other assorted small fish would be great.

If you did do something like that would it be possible to keep one or two larger fish too? Maybe like a pair of angels so the entire tank isnt' small fish?

7. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I would say you would need to get the angels very small, so they grew up with the schools. Less temptation for a tasty dinner... ;)

8. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Yes, a big tank with small fish certainly always has something going on!! I'm headed that way now with my 55 gal. All tetra's for now but will be getting more soon.

9. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I saw one tank out in Arizona (125g maybe?) that was stocked with about 80 glowlight, neon, and black neon tetras only. I think there were some ottos and maybe a few shrimp also. It looked amazing. All the tetras were about 1" and they would school in mixed colors, back and forth across the tank, splitting into several schools, then back into one large one. Lots of live plants and driftwood as well.

I always thought it would be cool to do that, but it gets pretty expensive to stock with that many small fish unless they are livebearers and can sort of stock themselves :).

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ive suggested people do that. i have a 30 gallon full of small tetras. the problem is that there are soooooo many fish most people cant keep because they have dont have a large enough tank. when they do get a large tank, the alllure of large fish is usually too much to overcome

11. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've been toying with the idea of combining my 30, 2 twentys and a 10 into my empty 55.

12. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

13. outlaw

638.jpg

Says its a 40gal.

14. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

15. outlaw

i'll have to view the vids from home. Cant even see there is a link attached other then the big blank space from work.

16. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

+1

17. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

75 neons in a 75 gal. it was many years ago..it does make for a pretty tank. darn you people, got me thinking about a new tank...lol:;laughing

18. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got Lemon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Rummynose Tetras, Otos, SAE & a Dwarf Gourami in the 63gal in my sig. About 40 fish in total so far. Seriously thinking of planting out the 180gal I just emptied & doing a few large schools of Tetras etc in there.

19. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Well I'm up to 11 Rainbow Tetras, 12 Cardinals, 6 neons and 6 pristellas.....still want to add black neons for contrast and definately more cardinals!!

20. outlaw

Any pics?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice