Keeping male guppies?

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Can you keep 2 male guppies together? Or will they fight/bully each other?

2. sunshine2012 Member Member

They might. How big is your tank? They are a schooling fish and should be in a group of 5 or more. I have had 2 together and had no problems, but I also had 6 at one time till 4 of them died.

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I disagree that they are a schooling fish. Keeping just male guppies is a good way to have the prettiness without the worry of baby guppies.

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Ab...

Livebearing fish are very peaceful. I've kept separate tanks of male Guppies for breeding purposes and at most they'll practice their mating rituals in front of one another, but aren't aggressive. Give them a minimum of a 20 gallon tank and some floating plants and they'll be fine.

Old

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

agreed with oldsalt777. They are not a schooling fish and keeping males together is fine. However if you keep too many and they become crowded they could turn on each other.

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed they are not a schooling fish. I have two male guppies in my tank and they get along just fine.

7. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Hi guys thanks for your quick replies I have a 40L/10 gallon tank, originally I bought 5 red blonde male guppies but unfortunately 3 of them died so now obviously I only have 2 left.

To be honest, they follow each other around all day long and seem to be the best of friends, always swimming together and can't be apart for very long. My main concern is that they may end up turning on each other in time.

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

My guppies act exactly like that... hang out together but also spend time alone too. I've had them both for a year now and haven't seen them turn on each other. I'm thinking it will be okay.

9. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

If they're doing fine now, they'll probably stay that way :) . However, as all fish vary, some guppies can be very nasty, you're lucky you didn't get one!

10. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Well let's hope so! They're so cute together I would hate for them to start fighting