Question Keeping Male Guppies With Female Platies/stocking Tanks

Stirling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not really a beginner, more intermediate, but I’m still learning about the care, etc. of each fish species - found myself in need of some advice!

I currently have a 15 g tank, a 10 g tank and a 5 g tank.
(Unfortunately my bf won’t let me go bigger since our apartment is a bit small and we share it with our 80 lb pup)

I would like to keep 3 female platies and 2-4 male guppies in the 10 g - so question #1 is will that be an issue? I’ve read some things about male guppies harassing the females?
I currently have 1 male guppy and 1 female platy in the 10 g. and they get along fine so far.

Question #2- my bf also needs me to get rid of the 5 g - but it is currently (temporarily) holding a very aggressive angelfish that kept killing and eating my other fish - 2 loaches and a goby - not to mention he harassed everyone in the tank, especially the other angel I got him with

So since I need that tank gone - I’m trying to find a way to make all fish happy in 10 g and 15 g but I don’t see a way - will fish stores take fish to rehome or ... what do I do?!

The 15 g tank currently has 2 Blue Snails, the other Zebra Angelfish, 1 male Blue Mickey Mouse Platy, 1 False Julii Cory, 3 Pristella Tetras and 1 female Guppy.

Please help! Will take any suggestions / information!

treadingwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your angel needs a 10 Gallon minimum and thats if its kept alone. Your local fish store may take him if hes healthy. I would rehome both angels.

As for the rest of your fish, each one has its own personality and how one behaves wont be the same for how another behaves. Like dog breeds, they may have a reputation for this and that but that is just the say so of one person and their experience. For every 20 bad stories there are maybe 100 good ones...and vise versa. Youll just have to see what happens. I would get a few more tetras and call it a day with the 15g.

As for the 10, male guppies will harass anything if there are no female guppies. It will only get worse if you add more males to the mix. For your 10, I would rehome one of the guppies (unless you want babies, ) move the rest into the 15 and start a nano tank with the 10. This video gives you a lot of great options for your stocking. I feel like you would enjoy a nano school more than you would getting more guppies that will become aggressive to the other fish.

Stirling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great advice, thanks so much! The fry will all get eaten if I don’t want them right? Maybe besides 1 or 2?

treadingwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They may but with your stock, probably not. You could try it. It would take a few months to get above stocking levels with your guppies if you wanted to try. That would be a lot of inbreeding though and you would need to get another female. It should be a 2-1 ratio if I'm remembering correctly.

Stirling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They may but with your stock, probably not. You could try it. It would take a few months to get above stocking levels with your guppies if you wanted to try. That would be a lot of inbreeding though and you would need to get another female. It should be a 2-1 ratio if I'm remembering correctly.
2:1 is the correct ratio, but I don’t want fry. My female platy has been pregnant for almost 3 months and the male won’t let her get a minute to herself. Similarly with the male guppy and female. That’s why I separated them, putting the female platy and the male platy in the 10 g tank because I didn’t realize at the time guppies would go for platies ‍♀

Also why I wanted to add male gups and female platies but clearly that won’t work now ... oops

Could I switch the female guppy and male guppy? Do a tank of female guppies and female platies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom