Keeping Java Fern

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Seatown12, Dec 29, 2009.

1. S

Seatown12 Valued Member Member

Ok so I am proboly going to try out some java fern as my first plant to raise, so is all I have to do tie their roots to a rock so the roots arent under the gravel and then just leave the tank lights on from anywhere from 9-12 hours a day? Is that all I have to do to take care of these plants? I heard something about using liquid plant fertilizer, is this a requirement for keeping jave ferns?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Pretty much all that is involved in it. Don't tie the rhizome down so tight that the string cuts into it. 8-10hrs lighting should be enough. I would start at 8 & work my way up from there once the plants has established itself. A liquid fertilizer isn't usually needed but seeing as you have no fish to create nutients from thier wastes, I would recommend you do get a liquid fertilizer. I use Seachem Comprehensive myself & highly recommend it. It works out more economical than any other commercial liquid fert I have seen. Try it at half of the recommended rate seeing as you are only feeding the one plant.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Hmm so you are saying the liquid fertilizers are only required for tanks that have no fish in them? Ok thank you!

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Usually, yes. Attached plants like Java Fern have fairly slow growth rates & pretty low nutrient requirements. Unless you have either no fish as you do or you have lots of floating or attached plants that suck up all the minerals in the water column quickly, liquid fertilisers won't help them a great deal. Weekly water changes should be enough in most cases to replenish the minerals that the plants have used up. This is for tanks that only have a few attached plants not heaps of them & it does not apply to substrate rooted plants at all.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Ok thank you for informing me.

6. emanluke

emanluke Valued Member Member

I bought one java fern about 6 months ago, and I'm now up to four plants (all "daughters" of the first plant). It started in my small tank with next to no lighting. It really seems to flourish with little light and the nutrients from fish waste. I really recommend it to anyone who wants a simple plant that looks great!

7. JSK

JSK Valued Member Member

I don't want to hijack this thread but it seems like a good place to ask a related, follow-up question. I added some Java Fern and Water Sprite to my tank a few days ago. The tank is still in a fishless cycle, nitrites and nitrates are just starting to appear. Since there are no fish in there to generate nutrients, should I fertilize a little during the cycle? Will fertilizers affect the cycle?

Again, I hope I am not jumping in on this thread, but it seemed more logicial to ask here than start another whole thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice