Keeping hamster cool during warm weather

Aquariumlover1357

Hey guys! I have a question for the hamster owners out there. Currently, where I live, the temperature is about 84 degrees indoors.

My 21-month-old dwarf hamster is a little overweight (too many successfully begged treats) and is probably sweating buckets under his coat (if he could sweat). He lives in a 660-square inch home and usually sleeps in a shoebox with an igloo inside. This is amazing for cold nights, and he won't have to spend too much effort trying to stay warm. But now, it's not too much of a help. I gave him a glass jar, but he decided his new pee corner should be in the jar, so that's not an option for sleeping, and I've put a ceramic bowl sideways and he's been chilling in there, but is not really comfortable as it doesn't really resemble a shelter.

So basically, my question is: is there a DIY hide (or ir can be something that will act as a cool floor to put under a normal hide) that I can use for my hamster to keep cool that will not burst if he bites it a lot? Thanks!

Fisch

Aquariumlover1357 said:
Hey guys! I have a question for the hamster owners out there. Currently, where I live, the temperature is about 84 degrees indoors.

My 21-month-old dwarf hamster is a little overweight (too many successfully begged treats) and is probably sweating buckets under his coat (if he could sweat). He lives in a 660-square inch home and usually sleeps in a shoebox with an igloo inside. This is amazing for cold nights, and he won't have to spend too much effort trying to stay warm. But now, it's not too much of a help. I gave him a glass jar, but he decided his new pee corner should be in the jar, so that's not an option for sleeping, and I've put a ceramic bowl sideways and he's been chilling in there, but is not really comfortable as it doesn't really resemble a shelter.

So basically, my question is: is there a DIY hide (or ir can be something that will act as a cool floor to put under a normal hide) that I can use for my hamster to keep cool that will not burst if he bites it a lot? Thanks!
May be a piece of tile or wood with a pet cooling gel pad underneath. The tile is cool and smooth and prevents him from chewing into the gel pack.

Desi

I put ice cubes in my hamsters water bottle during the summer months. You could take the shelter out together. He can burrow himself in the shavings that might be cooler? Just some thoughts.

WrenFeenix

I had a Campbell’s dwarf hamster who would press her belly up against the glass of her aquarium when she was hot. I had the idea to give her a small Tupperware (the thick tough kind) container filled with ice water, and she loved it! She’d lay all over it.

Edit: I know some pet stores sell “Chin-Chiller” stones you can keep in the freezer for hot pets to lay on. They’re usually made of marble or granite.

Aquariumlover1357

Fisch said:
May be a piece of tile or wood with a pet cooling gel pad underneath. The tile is cool and smooth and prevents him from chewing into the gel pack.
Desi said:
I put ice cubes in my hamsters water bottle during the summer months. You could take the shelter out together. He can burrow himself in the shavings that might be cooler? Just some thoughts.
WrenFeenix said:
I had a Campbell’s dwarf hamster who would press her belly up against the glass of her aquarium when she was hot. I had the idea to give her a small Tupperware (the thick tough kind) container filled with ice water, and she loved it! She’d lay all over it.

Edit: I know some pet stores sell “Chin-Chiller” stones you can keep in the freezer for hot pets to lay on. They’re usually made of marble or granite.

Thank you guys for the amazing ideas! I think I will try a couple of ice cubes in his bottle and use the tile/granite slab idea. I'll put something cool in the shoe box so he can lay on it and still be sheltered. His bedding is getting changed soon, and I think a thinner layer will help. He shouldn't need to burrow a lot in summer so I'll just put about 2 in; he is so old and lazy (partly due to being a little chubby.... I'll try to give him less cheerios and walnut pieces).Thanks again for the quick replies!

Latest threads

Top Bottom