Keeping Fish With Frog

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Kekuroo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. K

Kekuroo New Member Member

Hello everyone, i'm thinking of starting a tank where I'll keep both a budgett's frog, and some freshwater fish. is this possible? are there any species of fresh water fish that could get along with a budgett's frog? any help is appreciated. thank you.

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

This is gonna be tricky because having two budgett's frogs together means one will try to eat the other but if that's the case you'd need a fish just as large even larger than the frog is when hes an adult (4-5 inches), and for one fish that size you'd need upwards of a 30-ish gallon tank if you can get your hands on it

3. OP
    OP
    K

thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe a few cichlids,and a plecostomus. would that work? Also, should i be worried about the frog polluting the water?

4. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

I wouldn't do it. Is it really worth stressing out both animals? Frogs are always hungry and cichlids can get pretty territorial. The frog will produce about as much waste as a small goldfish. You should also research whether or not this frog requires a brumation period.

5. OP
    OP
    K

I suppose your right. Cichlids would be a bad idea if they would stress out the frog, and vise versa.
    Is there any other fish you could recommend that would leave the frog alone, and be left alone by the frog?
    Or do you recommend i just drop the whole idea altogether?
    i've already looked into information about the brumation period, and it seems it is recommended to move your budgett's frog to a seperate tank with substrate, after feeding it a specific diet for a few weeks.
    Thanks.

6. andychrissytank

You can get the frog a turtle basking platform to save space and just have the frog go there during estivation/brumation
    My recommendation is a 15 gallon soil planted tank with the turtle platform
    if you want a fish too you can get a 4-5 gallon betta tank or something

7. T

The environmental triggers wouldn't work so close to a body of water. I'd ditch the whole idea.

8. andychrissytank

Darn I'm trying to see how he can keep the budgets frog (if he doesn't have it already)
    before we call it quits just yet could a 7.5g water and 5g dry tank work?

9. T

A 10gal filled roughly halfway with a floating turtle dock is fine for them. But I'd you want them to live a healthy and long life you have to brumate them. You can't skimp out on that. I'd you can't provide the proper care in that regard, don't get the animal. A tubberware bin should be fine for brumation (filled with clean dirt of course).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice