Keeping Fish in a dorm room?

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was wondering how does keeping fish in a dorm room work out? I've just emailed my admissions conselour about the question, but I would like some of your feed back. What's the max size in a dorm room? I'm hoping on getting a dorm where I will have my own room, kind of apartment style, but if I don't get it I hope my room mate will be okay with fish. I was thinking about while in college going to the LFS and grabbing about 10 of the best colored and healthiest feeder guppies and breeding them to see what I can get. Good idea?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most dorms have a 5 to 10G limit, but what do I know. LOL

Dyrewolf

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know we could have tanks in our dorm room, but it was nothing bigger than a ten gallon. It depends on which college you are going to, and their rules on it. Each college is different. All of the ones I've heard of have been fine with smaller tanks, usually nothing bigger than a ten. It might be different in an apartment dorm though. Fish in dorm rooms are great, just make sure that they are allowed by the college.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It seems most colleges have a ten gallon limit. But its never says how many 10 gallons. I'm going to try 2 10 gallons in my dorm and see what happens. Worst thing they do is tell me that I can only have one, and I will have to divide one of the tanks more (for Bettas).

As for the stocking, its your tank. We can't tell you what to do and what not to do, but I wouldnt start with ten, or try to do any serious breeding with just one tank. Maybe pick out 5 (2 males, 3 females) of the best looking ones and put them all together, with the tank set up with places for fry to hide like plants and stuff. Just see how it goes. That's how I started =3

OP
titusxander

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the great advice. I was also thinking "does the 10 gallon limit only mean the size of the tank or how many I can have.... " I was thinking I need at least 2 tanks to do the feeder guppy project. I don't know how i'm going to survive with only 10 gallons. At least I'll still have my 10, 20, and 38 at home 2 1/2 hours away.

blueangel08

Reaction score
We were only supposed to have 10 gallons in my dorm room, but they never said HOW many(as Akari_32 has noted). So, I kept one 10 gallon on my drawer stand and one 5 gallon on my desk., with no problems. If your college is in the city, the chemical contents may be much higher in the water than if you lived in a rural area at home (which was my situation). I could SMELL the chlorine as soon as I turned on the faucet so I would make sure to keep up with your water conditioners.

OP
titusxander

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think that chlorine would be that much of a problem where I am going to college. It's more in a town than a city. And I have confirmed that I can have fish but 10 gallons is indeed the max.

OP
titusxander

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No because I was afraid of the answer I would get. lol I need at least 2 or 3 to strain out the feeder guppies. Here is the reply that I was given from the housing director:

To answer your question - fish tanks up to, but not exceeding, 10 gallons are allowed. Also, only fish are allowed in the tank!
Notice the "s" on the end of tanks.

Walky

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dorm rooms aren't that big. If you get suite style you might have more room but in a classic style I wouldn't go more than 1 10 or 15 gallon based on room alone. I have a 10 gallon in my room and don't have room for anything more. Also I would barely have enough room for it if my bed were not lofted(like a bunk bed but no lower bunk). My dorm room is something like 12x20(+3.5-4 more for entryway/closet space) feet which is not a whole lot of room for 2 people.

To be honest I wouldn't try to breed fish while in college, especially in a dorm. You you probably won't have room or time to do so. Remember college is about school first and foremost, and if you fall behind, professors aren't going to go out of their way to make sure you catch up.

Also moving the tank can be somewhat challenging. I personally move my fish into a clean bucket with a lid and drain most of the tank(<.5" of water left). Also plan for getting to and from the LFS. I'm lucky mine is only about a block from the bus stop so I don't have to go very far.

black jackk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could be one of the Betta fish tank 5 gallon. Or, you may be able to keep two sets of guppies. All the more, and the tank should be overstocked. I would probalby go Betta, her happy life alone, and is fun to watch. Betta food they eat, you can probably last the entire life cycle.

azazelsfyre

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not allowed to have fish. But I have a 14g sitting on my desk anyway. I'd be careful, though, and make sure you know what your school allows. If they decide to bust me (a lot of ppl know about my tank) then it's like 250 a fish (I have two bettas) but I'm not worried, you learn how things are fast.

OP
titusxander

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The college I am going to does allow fish. But the tank can't be over 10 gallons. I'm not really fond of bettas all that much. I'd much rather prefer guppies, platies, or cory cats. I've stayed in dorms before at FFA state conventions and I realize how small they can be. I'm going to have to measure out my bedroom and compare that to the size of the dorms listed in the housing packet.

anaugle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a reminder to ya........ Guppies breed like rabbits. So I hope ya have places for all the guppies you are about to get.

OP
titusxander

titusxander

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep I do know that guppies breed like rabbits. I have fancy guppies in both the 10 and 20 gallon that I have and a breeder net full of 2 week old fry.

New Threads